Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

12 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Doing a little research on this guy and no way baseball stops the sale.  Rubenstein is as tight with his fellow billionaires as you can get.   He knows all the right people and has all the right friends.   

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Doing a little research on this guy and no way baseball stops the sale.  Rubenstein is as tight with his fellow billionaires as you can get.   He knows all the right people and has all the right friends.   

You bet he has been vetted for quite a while now.  Deals like this don’t happen with out much due dilegence from both sides.  I suspect by opening day he will be in full control.

4 minutes ago, accinfo said:

You bet he has been vetted for quite a while now.  Deals like this don’t happen with out much due dilegence from both sides.  I suspect by opening day he will be in full control.

And they are saying he and Angelos wouldn’t be making statements if approval wasn’t a forgone conclusion 

Edited by Roll Tide

From the Banner:

“I am grateful to the Angelos family for the opportunity to join the team I have been a fan of my entire life,” Rubenstein said in a statement. “I look forward to working with all the Orioles owners, players and staff to build upon the incredible success the team has achieved in recent seasons. Our collective goal will be to bring a World Series Trophy back to the City of Baltimore. To the fans I say: we do it for you and can’t do it without you. Thank you for your support.”

John Angelos will remain in a senior advisor role with the Orioles, and the family will continue to be major investors.

What do we think about Angelos remaining a senior advisor - do we think that's indefinite, or until PA dies and Rubenstein is full majority owner, or some other scenario? 

I am impatient to fully rid the family from making any senior level decisions. 

Edited by interloper

Just now, interloper said:

From the Banner:

What do we think about Angelos remaining a senior advisor - do we think that's indefinite, or until PA dies and Rubenstein is full majority owner, or some other scenario? 

You don’t pay all that money to have someone else run things. 

Not a concern at all for me. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, interloper said:

From the Banner:

I'm guessing the biggest decisions the Angeloses will be making will be where they are picking up lunch for everyone. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, clapdiddy said:

I'm guessing the biggest decisions the Angeloses will be making will be where they are picking up lunch for everyone. 

I guess I could see Angelos taking point on the continued push for land redevelopment, and staying out of the team aspect. But maybe even that is too much. Not sure what a senior advisor role looks like, or if it's just a nice title during transition. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

I wonder if Louis Angelos is the hero here?  He sued and said John was trying to keep the team when his father wanted it sold when he died.  I wonder if John really did try to move to Nashville or at least use the threat of moving to get a bigger sale price?  

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I guess I could see Angelos taking point on the continued push for land redevelopment, and staying out of the team aspect. But maybe even that is too much. Not sure what a senior advisor role looks like, or if it's just a nice title during transition. 

I’m sure he can be of some use until the new group gets comfortable.

It’s a nice title at the end of the day. 

6 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I wonder if Louis Angelos is the hero here?  He sued and said John was trying to keep the team when his father wanted it sold when he died.  I wonder if John really did try to move to Nashville or at least use the threat of moving to get a bigger sale price?  

I think the MASN issue forced this. 

This guy was just on 105.7 the Fan. He is a sports business expert. 

8 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Just look at the ongoing drama w/ the expected move of the Oakland A's to Los Vegas.  This has been going on for years d/t the abyssmal support the Oakland A's receive.  It's so hard to move an MLB team and there is no reality where the O's w/ Camden Yards and a loyal fanbase was ever going to move.

• Upvote 1