Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

Thinking about the Kimbrel deal. There will be no way to know this, but I wonder if Angelos told Elias something like,
"If you're gonna sign someone do it quick because once the lease is done we're putting everything on pause until the sale is approved. I can only approve a 1-year deal."

Kimbrel could then be seen as an emergency signing to make sure they have SOMEbody replacing Felix. Kimbrel is slightly overpaid compared to the rest of how the relief market shook out, and it ended up being one of only a couple big ML deals at the Winter Meetings, which is fairly quick for Elias. 

I wonder if all things considered Elias would have preferred to wait and shop around more, but Kimbrel was a guy they could grab quickly considering his age, recent ineffectiveness in the playoffs, etc. And so Elias played it safe to band-aid his biggest need on the team. 

Edited by interloper

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Isn't Bloomberg a Yankees fan? I am wondering how a couple of billionaires from New York being part of the ownership group is going to affect the synergy of operations for the franchise, knowing they had more interest in the team's division rival in the past.

39 minutes ago, 24fps said:

We all did dumb crap when we were younger. 

Googling this taught me that Bloomberg grew up in Boston, implied that he was a Red Sox fan at some point in his campaign, and then had to fight off the Red Sox allegations while in office. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/13/nyregion/a-yankee-loving-mayor-from-head-to-almost-his-toes.html

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg was working hard yesterday to burnish his credentials as a Yankee fan. Outfit? Check. The mayor wore a navy blue Yankees pullover. Tough talk? Check. He called for the arrest of Pedro Martínez, the Boston pitcher who tangled with the Yankees' bench coach. Socks? Uh-oh. Slight hitch.

Mayor Bloomberg, a son of suburban Boston, was wearing red socks.

Members of his staff, who have labored mightily for more than two years to dispel suspicions that Mr. Bloomberg harbors Red Sox sympathies, went into damage control mode as the red-socked mayor marched in a Columbus Day parade in the Bronx, of all places, just when the two teams are in the midst of a heated playoff series.

9 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

They're not going to vote no, Rubenstein's in the cluuuuuuuuuub. 

Bloomberg’s in an even more exclusive club when it comes to political clout as well. This ownership group looks like it was put together by an A-list casting director with the primary aim of glitch-free approval. 

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Plus, they want Angelos gone. No one likes the guy. The vote would be just as much about getting rid of him.

It has been a surreal couple of days. It's like when you have a dream that you won the lottery and you wake up and you're wondering if it's real.... then it is and this warm feeling rushes over you.

I would hope we see some extensions for some of our own followed by actual effort to lure some cake toppers in free agency. I'm trying to temper my expectations but we could be in for a very, very good run. We've all been waiting a long ass time for this.

10 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Googling this taught me that Bloomberg grew up in Boston, implied that he was a Red Sox fan at some point in his campaign, and then had to fight off the Red Sox allegations while in office. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/13/nyregion/a-yankee-loving-mayor-from-head-to-almost-his-toes.html

Good God, he's both a Yankee AND a Red Sox fan?

Man, we have really let the fox into the henhouse here.   Next thing you know we'll hear he's best buddies with Cito Gaston!

When the news broke that Dan Snyder had signed an “agreement in principle” to sell the Commanders to Josh Harris et al., I warned that nothing was ever simple with Snyder and not to celebrate prematurely.  That deal did get finalized and approved, but it had some hiccups and took a bit longer than expected.  

I feel pretty much the same here.  It’s looking good, and maybe even further along than “agreement in principle,” but I’m not going to celebrate too much until the deal is approved and the closing actually happens.  

And lastly, I do want to hear Rubenstein articulate what his vision for the team is, and what he’s expecting his relationship with Elias will be.  And, I want to see how he follows through on those things.  His group has deep pockets and he seems like a guy who will let the baseball professionals run things without meddling, but you never know about a new owner until you see him in action.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Pickles said:

I question how diverse this ownership group is anyway.  Seems like the primary owners are all rich, white, Jewish guys, and Cal Ripken.

I prefer to view it as 2 Duke Pukes and object to the lack of any fellow Terps in the group.  😆   I assume approval is a formality as there as plenty of owners who won't miss the Angelos clan in their group.

• Haha 1

Don't remember seeing this posted in here.

John Ourand was on Foul Territory today and he said near the beginning of his segment that he has a source in the MLB offices that told him today this sale would be over in weeks, not months.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Don't remember seeing this posted in here.

John Ourand was on Foul Territory today and he said near the beginning of his segment that he has a source in the MLB offices that told him today this sale would be over in weeks, not months.

This is like, the least important aspect of this news, but I can't believe this was Ourand's first story at Puck. What a way to start a job--you can coast on that for a while.