Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

Maybe I am too simple but I was judging strictly off attendance. Orioles were 20th in attendance last year so acceptable payroll was 120 million dollars like the Diamondbacks. Seems like most teams this offseason with the exception of Dodgers and Yankees have been shrewd. Looks like the number could be around 120 million again for 20th payroll.

Another added benefit to adding a Pitcher with the stature of Burnes (outside of injury):  it allows the Orioles developmental staff to work with  McDermott, Povich, Johnson, etc...  without having to rush them to the Majors. It allows the Os to wait and bring them up either in spot starts or in a bullpen role and break them into the Majors in a more controlled manner

I don't care who approved the trade, either.  If it was John Angelos, great.  If it was the new ownership, that's great too.

Burnes is going to be a free agent, no matter what.  Unless he absolutely loves it here, is pitching his ass off and we're dominating the East and Rubenstein comes to him with an offer he cannot refuse, he's going to test the market.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Actual headline on the Athletic
"How Orioles’ trade for Corbin Burnes impacts Yankees’ outlook"  to which I reply F'em.

The moves the Yankees made this offseason in trading for Juan Soto, Alex Verdugo and Trent Grisham, plus signing starting pitcher Marcus Stroman in free agency, helped close the gap between them and the Orioles. But this trade for Burnes certainly helps push the momentum back in Baltimore’s direction because of how deep their roster already was.

With a new ownership group on the way with deeper pockets than the Angelos family, a stacked farm system that features the No. 1 overall prospect in infielder Jackson Holliday and several young stars firmly established in the big leagues, the Orioles are going to be a problem for many years. This is just the beginning.

https://theathletic.com/5246039/2024/02/02/orioles-corbin-burnes-trade-yankees-outlook/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983

Wow, just like the good old days when EVERYTHING the Orioles did was framed around its impact on the Yankees or Red Sox.

57 minutes ago, interloper said:

Listening to this, it’s obvious that Ortiz was valued highly by Milwaukee (I mean that was obvious anyway but still).

The deal had nothing to do with ownership changes.

Burnes has been at the top of the list all offseason.

Said Burnes was a guy they NEEDED. Felt they had to go into the season with  a guy like this. 

Elias seems content with the team as is. Will keep exploring options and could add more pitching but more likely to be a MiL type deal it sounds like.

And lastly, my god what a bunch of horrible questions. I mean, Melewski actually asked, do you think Burnes can be a big impact in the playoffs like other pitchers that were acquired last year like Eovaldi and Montgomery.  I mean seriously Steve.  Why else do you think he acquired him?