Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Yea BUT you need to get a real reliever now.

That’s true, I was kind of looking forward to seeing him out of the bullpen this year. I didn’t think they’d give him a starter role. 

I’m good with this deal as long as it’s just Ortiz and Hall being traded. Get the feeling some lower level names are gonna trickle in though. 

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

That’s true, I was kind of looking forward to seeing him out of the bullpen this year. I didn’t think they’d give him a starter role. 

I’m good with this deal as long as it’s just Ortiz and Hall being traded. Get the feeling some lower level names are gonna trickle in though. 

Just the 34th pick..that’s it.

Would have loved to see someone with more control but holy crap, this is awesome. Ortiz, Hall, and whoever is picked at 34 next year seems like a tall order for one year but the O’s are deep right now and can afford it without it harming the future too much. 

• Upvote 1

Burnes helped drive his price down with this quote. 

Being in my shoes, being a year away from it [free agency], I think if a trade and extension type of deal came up, obviously every guy that gets this close to free agency wants to test the market to kind of see what your true dollar amount is, kind of see what teams really are in on you, so it would have to be something that would just absolutely I think blow you away to kind of get you away from testing the free agent market, being able to choose where you want to go because I think that's kind of the one thing that every player in their career wants to get to," Burnes said on Tuesday's edition of "Foul Territory" about potentially signing an extension with a new team, if he were traded.

This has me so excited! Then I think about having to depart with DL Hall and how that's going to be disappointing for his best buds like Grayson Rodriguez to deal with, and I'm tempered a little bit in my excitement. But I'm still F'n excited! How often do you get to acquire a legit proven Ace!?

I thought all those trade idea threads by fans were offering too much and selling our players value short, and reading this trade, it seems like that was indeed the case.