Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Who is still gaming service time?

Hard to say without studying it.  There’s plenty of guys who earned just short of 172 days of service last year, or who were brought up in June shortly after Super 2 eligibility was likely.  But from my past looks at prior year cases, you often can’t tell if service time was a factor.

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Well, SG has said ad nauseam that the Davis deal didn't hurt the O's....

Twenty five million over five plus years isn't stopping a team from making other deals, neither is fifty spread out over an extended period of time.

So much money in the game right now.

If the Rays end up having to pay Franco and he never plays again, that's actual harm.

I guess it depends on the money and how you define hurt.

Davis didn’t hurt us persay but it was flushing money down the toilet. 

Im speaking solely on the concept of you saying it’s definitely smart business. Thats false. Smart business isn’t paying 80M for 3 wins. That’s not smart. You can say the gamble is smart but the result isn’t. It’s not going to cripple a franchise but it’s very reasonable to say never signing a deal and gaming the service time to get essentially 7 non guaranteed seasons out of them is smarter than having 8-10 guaranteed seasons. You may not even want them beyond the 7 years for a myriad of reasons.

Guys like Kingery and Singleton didn’t cripple those teams but I bet they wish they had that money for other things.

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

You mean like the Braves taking advantage of Acuña & Albies?

Pick your poison.  

It takes two to tango with the extensions.  The folks who agree to extend, and who are true difference makers, are costing themselves market value payment later in their career. 

Not being snarky, but honestly what early extension do you think both worked out for the team and the player? 

Have we heard anything about either of them being unhappy with the deal?

They both had representation.

Not everyone is about making as much as they can.

They got security.

Not sure what your parameters are for working out for both sides.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I know a guy, well a woman actually.

She works for the Rays and used to work for the Blue Jays.  (not at a particularly high level)

According to her the Jays would run a background check on her every year.  She says the Rays are a lot more lax about that sort of thing.

Why would you start a sentence with “I know a guy” when you know it’s not a guy?     Kinda weird.  Lol

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Why would you start a sentence with “I know a guy” when you know it’s not a guy?     Kinda weird.  Lol

I know a guy is a figure of speech.

I was riffing off the expression.  Sorry it didn't work for you.

Since you are still confused....

Wow, I'm not enjoying that at all.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

You mean like the Braves taking advantage of Acuña & Albies?

Pick your poison.  

It takes two to tango with the extensions.  The folks who agree to extend, and who are true difference makers, are costing themselves market value payment later in their career. 

Not being snarky, but honestly what early extension do you think both worked out for the team and the player? 

Acuna and his family are set for life. I don’t think he’s unhappy in his situation. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I guess it depends on the money and how you define hurt.

Davis didn’t hurt us persay but it was flushing money down the toilet. 

Im speaking solely on the concept of you saying it’s definitely smart business. Thats false. Smart business isn’t paying 80M for 3 wins. That’s not smart. You can say the gamble is smart but the result isn’t. It’s not going to cripple a franchise but it’s very reasonable to say never signing a deal and gaming the service time to get essentially 7 non guaranteed seasons out of them is smarter than having 8-10 guaranteed seasons. You may not even want them beyond the 7 years for a myriad of reasons.

Guys like Kingery and Singleton didn’t cripple those teams but I bet they wish they had that money for other things.

I bet the O's wish they had the money they gave Givens last season for other things.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Acuna and his family are set for life. I don’t think he’s unhappy in his situation. 

Maybe not yet.  I’m sure Evan Longoria was kicking himself 5-6 years into his Rays contract.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sure.  But hes drastically underpaid.  Had they gamed his service time a little and he played out his 6 years, he’d be a FA after this year, would have made the same amount (or more) money to date and be in line for a 300+MM contract next year.  

1 hour ago, spleen1015 said:

You and I agree on how things should be handled. I was just stating what I think is going to happen.

I want Mayo and Holliday on the OD roster because I believe their both ready and I want to that initial adjustment period over with as soon as possible because once they get over that period, theyre going to be better than Mateo, certainly, and Urias most likely.

I want one of these 2 dudes to pull an Evan Carter in the playoffs for the O's. Get them ready!

Again, Holliday in my opinion is in a class all by himself. He should not be lumped in with how the org handled Gunnar or what will/should be done with the handling of Mayo. Don’t get me wrong, I really like Mayo as a prospect but he is not in the same class as Holliday. As a matter of fact, if Kjerstad is on the team, I really don’t see a place for him to get regular ABs on this year’s team. IMO it makes much more sense to keep Mayo at AAA for a duration of this season. But Holliday? - Unless you are trying to game the service time clock, which doesn’t make much sense given that you can get the extra pick back if he finishes top in ROY. He rose 4 levels in one year, it would be absurd to leave him at one level for most of the season. That would probably be alienating to him and not good for the relationship with the organization. There is no need to play those kind of games, when a legit World Series appearance after more than 40 years is on the line.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Maybe not yet.  I’m sure Evan Longoria was kicking himself 5-6 years into his Rays contract.

Hold up!

Longoria signed Longoria in 2008

You said he was kicking himself 5-6 years later.

Guess what?  He signed an extension with the Rays in 2012.

Now I don't know for sure, but I think if a guy is really upset that he didn't get a good deal that guy is probably not going to sign another deal.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The same Evan Longoria with 143M in career earnings?

Yea, he's probably PISSED.

He would have made a lot more if he hadn’t signed that contract.  It’s human nature to second guess yourself and realize you could have made a lot more.