What’s your reaction to the Burnes trade?

Frobby

What’s your reaction to the Burnes trade?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your reaction to the Burnes trade?

• Couldn’t be happier - great pitcher, would have been willing to give up more if needed
    • Love it - great pitcher, price is fair and reasonable
    • Like it a lot -great pitcher, but the price was a bit steep
    • Okay with it but nervous - putting a lot of eggs in one-year basket for two good cost-controlled players and a pick
    • Don’t really like it

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/10/24 at 09:23

I think in a vacuum, the price is fair and reasonable for one year. (option 2)

I think in context of where the O's are and the glut of infielders in their system, this was a great move. Exactly the kind of thing we needed to do. Love it. (Option 1)

I'm excited by the trade.  There are no sure things in baseball, but the Orioles have definitely improved their chances of winning a World Series this year.  There is probably no other trade or signing out there that would have moved the needle this much--not Cease, not Montgomery, not even Snell.  

Option 1 for me!  

Both Hall and Ortiz are depreciating assets with respect to a top outcome.  Another year of Hall with a high BB rate, or another year of Ortiz slotting in behind Westburg in the O's front office's perceived pecking order, then neither would be valued as highly in a trade next offseason.  We had that downside risk on our side. 

2 hours ago, NedFromYork said:

Thank you Can.  Looks like we might have a chance to get a pick back.

I’m sure that was part of the thinking.  Pick will probably be about the same pick as the one they just traded. And who knows, if it’s a better draft, it may be more valuable.

With regard to Hall, the high BB rate kind of devalues his potential both as a starter and in relief. For that reason, comparing him for example to Wells as a backend 2024 bullpen piece, I can live with letting him go (espec. to the NL). The other downside, though, is having one less LHP and one more RHP (Burnes), which is not exactly maximizing the effect of the LF Wall. 

5 minutes ago, now said:

With regard to Hall, the high BB rate kind of devalues his potential both as a starter and in relief. For that reason, comparing him for example to Wells as a backend 2024 bullpen piece, I can live with letting him go (espec. to the NL). The other downside, though, is having one less LHP and one more RHP (Burnes), which is not exactly maximizing the effect of the LF Wall. 

He had reverse splits last season.

For his career he's pretty even.

As for Wells, the lack of K's worries me.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

As for Wells, the lack of K's worries me.

My biggest worry with Wells is his habit of giving up the long deep fly ball/home runs out of the blue. I remember that game early last season in Texas when Bradish was knocked from a line drive to his leg. Wells came in to save the team, but if it wasn't for Stowers making a great catch at the wall after one was hit off Wells, that game could have went a totally went a different way than it ended up going.