What’s your reaction to the Burnes trade?

Frobby

What’s your reaction to the Burnes trade?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your reaction to the Burnes trade?

• Couldn’t be happier - great pitcher, would have been willing to give up more if needed
    • Love it - great pitcher, price is fair and reasonable
    • Like it a lot -great pitcher, but the price was a bit steep
    • Okay with it but nervous - putting a lot of eggs in one-year basket for two good cost-controlled players and a pick
    • Don’t really like it

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/10/24 at 09:23

I just realized the Orioles now have the opportunity for a guaranteed sell-out giveaway day: Burnes Night!

Bagpipers around the stadium, and the first 10,000 fans get a book of Scottish poetry and a haggis. What's not to love? I'm ready to buy my tickets now.

I already voted for option #2, but with the haggis I'd have probably gone with #1.

Edited by DrungoHazewood

19 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Wells is definitely Back end., Check out first year with Baltimore.

He's capable of being back end IMO, but he's also capable of giving you three solid innings out of the 'pen and that's incredibly valuable if a starter bombs and you need to prevent the game from getting out of reach. Most teams just have some fringe guy for that role. I'd also like to keep Wells somewhat stretched out so he can spot start in the event of an injury.

The guy is a damn good starter when his arm is fresh.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I didn’t think Elias was going to pull off a trade for a top level starter. I just didn’t believe he would part with the prospects necessary to get one.

Now, to be fair, I never really considered Burnes because most indications were that he wasn’t available. I know he was potentially out there but you just heard nothing about him.

I thought it was notable in Elias' presser it sounded like he related that had gone back and forth some this winter.

On the Brewers board, someone had grabbed a William Contreras social media post Thursday night, but it looked like it had been taken down fast.    Christian Yelich, William Contreras and Willy Adames probably aren't super psyched out on Brewers Caravan.

I always felt pretty good something like this would eventually happen.    I expect it to happen again at least once more before the present Final Four Adley years run out, there assuming that even with new ownership money Gunnar and Holliday are the priorities.

One basic settling in of the Rubenstein news for me is the feeling the number of franchise cornerstones that will sell FA years to Baltimore has gone from 1 to 2.

It also sets up next month as a short-term leverage peak to surf the feel good vibes and try and get somebody, anybody, done before Opening Day.    Elias did just fulfill some of what he probably had to say to Adley and the guys down in Texas in early August 2022.

Apologies if this has already been discussed in this or another thread, but has anyone else wondered why we got Burnes for such a good price?

Surely other teams are looking at this deal and kicking themselves.  Are we to assume that every other overture for Burnes was of lower quality than ours.  I guess that's an obvious "yes," but I'm very surprised at that fact, and I'm baffled as to how/why.

1 minute ago, Paul in Virginia said:

Apologies if this has already been discussed in this or another thread, but has anyone else wondered why we got Burnes for such a price?

Surely other teams are looking at this deal and kicking themselves.  Are we to assume that every other overture for Burnes was of lower quality than ours.  I guess that's an obvious "yes," but I'm very surprised at that fact, and I'm baffled as to how/why.

The O's could mix and match whatever the Brewers needed. It seems like they wanted Hall and Ortiz and liked them better than what other teams were willing to give up. 

7 minutes ago, Paul in Virginia said:

Apologies if this has already been discussed in this or another thread, but has anyone else wondered why we got Burnes for such a good price?

I definitely thought this as well. I wager it has something to do with the fact that Hall and Ortiz are, as Elias said, plug and play guys. Milwaukee seems to be targeting a "retool but hopefully still compete" kind of thing and I'm guessing we had the guys that fit best for that.

The Yankees would have had some guys like that but they blew it all on Soto. 

I've been reading a lot of comments online from non Brewers/ O's fans.  The general consensus is the O's won the trade and even a lot of expressions of shock with how little the Brewers got.  I would have guessed that the Brewers would get one of Cowser, Westburg and Kjerstad and a stronger package to go with him.  That's why I wasn't in favor of a Burnes trade.  I'm amazed how little they gave up.

5 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I've been reading a lot of comments online from non Brewers/ O's fans.  The general consensus is the O's won the trade and even a lot of expressions of shock with how little the Brewers got.  I would have guessed that the Brewers would get one of Cowser, Westburg and Kjerstad and a stronger package to go with him.  That's why I wasn't in favor of a Burnes trade.  I'm amazed how little they gave up.

Or casual baseball fans don't have a great grasp of the market.  Two major league ready pieces and a first round pick isn't a bad return.

• Upvote 1

On 2/1/2024 at 10:49 PM, Frobby said:

I know the trade has already been discussed in great detail in the other thread and the reaction is overwhelmingly positive, but I always like to get people on record in a poll after a big move to make it easy to look back later.  So, what’s your vote?

My own opinion hovers between options 2 and 3, with a little of 4 splashed in.  I generally hate giving up 12 years of control for one.  And, it could blow up in our face if Burnes gets hurt or tails off suddenly, and Hall and Ortiz become good contributors.

Do you take 12 years of a Ford Fiesta over 1 year of a Ferrari?

6 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I thought it was notable in Elias' presser it sounded like he related that had gone back and forth some this winter.

On the Brewers board, someone had grabbed a William Contreras social media post Thursday night, but it looked like it had been taken down fast.    Christian Yelich, William Contreras and Willy Adames probably aren't super psyched out on Brewers Caravan.

I always felt pretty good something like this would eventually happen.    I expect it to happen again at least once more before the present Final Four Adley years run out, there assuming that even with new ownership money Gunnar and Holliday are the priorities.

One basic settling in of the Rubenstein news for me is the feeling the number of franchise cornerstones that will sell FA years to Baltimore has gone from 1 to 2.

It also sets up next month as a short-term leverage peak to surf the feel good vibes and try and get somebody, anybody, done before Opening Day.    Elias did just fulfill some of what he probably had to say to Adley and the guys down in Texas in early August 2022.

I am not parking the Brinks trucks for Adley. I think he is what he is at this point. Gunnar is another story entirely. They have to break the bank if necessary.

24 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I definitely thought we would have to trade more to get Burnes…but that doesn’t mean it’s a bad return.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Just Baseball did a podcast breaking down the Burnes trade that can be found here: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-call-up-an-mlb-prospect-podcast/id1604440106?i=1000643971842

I haven’t had a chance to listen yet.  it also discusses the trade value of Luzardo and Cease.  

Nothing really analyzing Burnes, as you’d expect from a prospect podcast, but boy did they make me more worried Hall has figured something out. Lot of discussion of his mechanical changes mid-last year: flatter approach, much better VAA, more extension, way more consistent strike throwing.

However, not from the podcast, but the flip side from my perspective: it’s a very small sample and possible the Orioles were able to cash in selling high on the Brewers liking all those same factors and viewing him as a SP. Hall’s never been able to stay healthy, we don’t know how much velo he’ll lose transitioning back to the rotation, and we don’t know how much of those mechanical improvements he’ll be able to keep over a SP workload.

And the point remains that you need to give up something to get Corbin Burnes. Still love the deal.