All the talk about Cowser and Kjerstad…but what about Stowers?

Sports Guy

6 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It would be nice if Mateo can backup in CF because it makes carrying McKenna on the 26 man roster less of an option. McKenna defensively is the best defensive option in CF over the other outfielders that are currently MLB ready. If Mateo can do the job then it makes it easier to carry two out three when it comes to Cowser, Kjerstad and Stowers. 

I totally agree. I want to see Mateo field alot more plays in Centerfield while it's still Spring Training and get him used to being out there seeing the ball fly off the bat.

If McKenna makes the roster over Stowers, Cowser, or even Kjerstad I'll be fairly upset.  It is time to say goodbye to Ryan McKenna.  Don't care about his defense.  Watch him drop another fly ball like last year vs. Boston.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Oriole4Life said:

If McKenna makes the roster over Stowers, Cowser, or even Kjerstad I'll be fairly upset.  It is time to say goodbye to Ryan McKenna.  Don't care about his defense.  Watch him drop another fly ball like last year vs. Boston.

How dare he keep the O's from winning 102 games instead of 101 with his sole error last year!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Oriole4Life said:

I agree. I really don’t see the upside considering the options we have available. No knock on him, and I’m sure he’s a good guy, but our talent level has upgraded past him. Tough spot for the guy because if he is on the 26 man, he’ll be vilified and anything he does will be met with massive consternation.

Timing is everything and when to DFA is important. You still want him with the organization for depth so it’d be nice to sneak him through waivers.

54 minutes ago, Oriole4Life said:

https://www.mlb.com/video/ryan-mckenna-homers-2-on-a-fly-ball-to-right-center-field-cedric-mullins

• Upvote 1

Cowser, Kjerstad, and Stowers… I’ll take players that weren’t good enough as a package to get Dylan Cease for $800. 😂 

This is just a joke. I love sunshine specifically after his walk off homer versus the CWS. Dude was pumped. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

Cowser, Stowers, and Kjerstad, will all be members of the 2024 O's at the least.  Santa is a FA after this season(2024).  O'Hearn has a team option that we could decline.  Hays, and Mullins will be FA after the 2025 season, and we'll likely see one, if not both, traded.  

Everyone will get their shot.  

I can see an argument for letting Stowers be the 4th outfielder to start the season, to give him a chance to show that he can hit major league pitching.  If he does, you can package him for a quality arm or two.   Either way, Cowser replaces him after 6-8 weeks.  

6 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I can see an argument for letting Stowers be the 4th outfielder to start the season, to give him a chance to show that he can hit major league pitching.  If he does, you can package him for a quality arm or two.   Either way, Cowser replaces him after 6-8 weeks.  

It must be so demoralizing for a player to put in the hard work and have the type of Spring that Stowers has had to know that there are people saying that your best value to an organization is to be good enough to be traded from that organization.  These players have got to have thick skin,  especially those that haven't got a big contract yet and don't know if they are ever going to make a regular MLB roster.   Tough business. 

• Upvote 3

On 3/18/2024 at 5:29 AM, Oriole4Life said:

So, you think Stowers, Cowser and Kjerstad will never drop a fly ball?  The guy makes one error and that's the reason you're done with him?  Spoiler alert, they ALL make errors, it's part of the game.

I think CVS sells chill pills.

Kudos to @spleen1015 for posting the game winning homer by McKenna.  So, he cost us a game, and he won us a game.  We're even.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Yossarian said:

It must be so demoralizing for a player to put in the hard work and have the type of Spring that Stowers has had to know that there are people saying that your best value to an organization is to be good enough to be traded from that organization.  These players have got to have thick skin,  especially those that haven't got a big contract yet and don't know if they are ever going to make a regular MLB roster.   Tough business. 

I imagine Stowers is constantly feeling two emotions - one is that he loves being here with all his friends he came up in the minor leagues with, being in a winning organization, etc. The other is how unlucky it is that it's THIS organization he had to be in when he'd be a full-time MLer by now in a handful of other organizations. 

Can't think of a tougher spot for a prospect right now than Stowers' exact situation. 

• Upvote 1