All the talk about Cowser and Kjerstad…but what about Stowers?

Sports Guy

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Another lefty/lefty homer for Stowers 

Yet, if he makes the team, he will somehow likely not get starts against lefties because we load up with righties.

I know he had a bad start last year, and I didn't go back and check this, but I wonder how many at bats they gave him against lefties.

10 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Yet, if he makes the team, he will somehow likely not get starts against lefties because we load up with righties.

I know he had a bad start last year, and I didn't go back and check this, but I wonder how many at bats they gave him against lefties.

0-2 against lefties last year.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/kyle-stowers-669065?stats=splits-r-hitting-mlb&season=2023

12 minutes ago, waroriole said:

It makes no sense to keep Ohearn over Stowers. Kyle with the much higher ceiling and OHearn already in arbitration. Is there really a difference between the two at the plate?

Maybe. O’Hearn OPS was over .800 last year. Might have been a fluke, maybe it wasn’t.

3 hours ago, waroriole said:

It makes no sense to keep Ohearn over Stowers. Kyle with the much higher ceiling and OHearn already in arbitration. Is there really a difference between the two at the plate?

Other than the fact that O'Hearn can adequately back up Mountcastle at 1B?

36 minutes ago, waroriole said:

So can Santander. Mayo has played 1B. Teach Stowers the position too. 

You do realize that they are already trusting Mountcastle to be the primary, a player who missed significant time last year from a bout with Vertigo, and they're probably not sure what even caused it. 

So... the O's are going to go into a year in which they want to take the next step towards a title, and they would have the backup 1B as either a RF who has played 12 games at 1B, a 3B who hasn't even cracked the majors, and a OF prospect who has never played the position? Sounds perfectly fine to me. 

2 hours ago, Jagwar said:

You do realize that they are already trusting Mountcastle to be the primary, a player who missed significant time last year from a bout with Vertigo, and they're probably not sure what even caused it. 

So... the O's are going to go into a year in which they want to take the next step towards a title, and they would have the backup 1B as either a RF who has played 12 games at 1B, a 3B who hasn't even cracked the majors, and a OF prospect who has never played the position? Sounds perfectly fine to me. 

But trusting a guy who had a career year at 30 and had never even approached being a league average hitter is a better option? 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, waroriole said:

But trusting a guy who had a career year at 30 and had never even approached being a league average hitter is a better option? 

The Orioles seem to think so.

How much are Stowers 3 homers against minor league pitchers influencing your opinion?

Edited by RZNJ