Tobacco ban at OPACY

Sports Guy

22 minutes ago, CP0861 said:

I guess I'm getting old.

I've come full circle on stuff like this. I started dipping at 16 and after going back and forth with it for 25+ years, I finally quit for good about a year and a half ago.

I absolutely, positively started dipping because of baseball.

Long story short, it's just not necessary.  It's just not.  People that chew and dip need to spit and there's no good place to spit at a ballpark. And yes, as someone who spit in a plastic bottle for the entire time I dipped, I realize it's possible but then you have bottles of spit that often get spilled (I spilled countless myself). If I take my kids to a game and someone spills their spit bottle on/near them, there's going to be a problem. I've seen that happen. As a lifelong dipper and season ticket holder, I don't want to hear or see someone obnoxiously spitting next to me for 3 hours. I see that ALL the time too.

As far as legal weed and beer, I don't have the perfect answer for that (except gimme some) and I don't necessarily disagree.  But two (or more) wrongs don't make it right either.  Pointing at something else that's bad as justification doesn't lead to getting anywhere.  I love having a couple of Stella's at the game, but at the same time, I'd be okay with no beer at a stadium. But do I want to pay more for my tickets for that? No, not really.

You say it’s not necessary.  It’s also not necessary to smoke weed, drink or gamble. Hell, it’s not necessary to go the games if someone bothers you because of dipping.

As for someone spilling it..I mean, it can happen and it’s more disgusting than a beer spilled on you but it’s not like that’s a joyous experience.

Edited by Sports Guy

The MLB banned players from dipping in 2016 and 16 of the stadiums in the league already have this in place.  Most people that I know who still dip do it pretty inconspicuously and its pretty low on the list of things that I think should be policed at games but whatever, just seems weird. 

Maybe they have sympathy for the cleaning crew who have trouble cleaning up that tobacco juice in the aisles. Or worse yet, cups full of spit left behind.

As a young whipper snapper, I think the highest I'd ever been in my life is when those Skoal Bandit pouches came out. The thinking was "wow, if one of those makes me feel this good, maybe two will be even better." 

To paraphrase Ralphie from Christmas Story, 

"nicotiiiiine poisoning".

It made a Thunderbird drunken nauseous evening feel like a holiday in comparison. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Regardless of how you view personal liberties, a lot of people find chewing tobacco and the accompanying spitting disgusting, and don't want to sit next to it at the game for 3 hours straight.  And there's probably far more of those fans than there are tobacco chewers at the games (as the CDC reports that only about 2% of the population chews tobacco). 

So this makes perfect sense from the team's perspective as far as I can see.   

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

i figured it had already happened a decade ago.

I've never know chewers to respect anti-tobacco rules in the first place.

I would argue the chances at least as good as the the number of folks who drink “responsibly”.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Regardless of how you view personal liberties, a lot of people find chewing tobacco and the accompanying spitting disgusting, and don't want to sit next to it at the game for 3 hours straight.  And there's probably far more of those fans than there are tobacco chewers at the games (as the CDC reports that only about 2% of the population chews tobacco). 

So this makes perfect sense from the team's perspective as far as I can see.   

I do dip snuff, mostly at baseball games and practices, for whatever reason. I recognize that others may not like the sight or thought of it, so I keep it incognito out of respect to others. I spit in a water bottle, and reseal it each time. I keep it away from others. I have seen someone drink out of another’s bottle, not good. 🤣

I will say that I may not represent some others who are not as considerate of others. I understand that is really the issue.

Personally, I would like to ban gum so I do not have to get it stuck on my shoe. 

I would argue that all of the vapes, especially the nasty weed vapes, are way worse to many people. That smell is awful, and it takes a long time to dissipate. It lingers. Not sure if it even illegal anymore in Maryland, I’ve lost track. Many do not seem to care where I live.

Ah well, maybe we can get someone like Taylor Swift, Beyoncé or JayZ to throw a dip in. Then, the “I know what is good for you” crowd will think it’s cool to dip. I better stop here.

Cheers 🍻

• Upvote 1

Interesting thread. In one corner we have the folks who claim to be bothered by this, but who are clearly trying to make it about something much bigger than a tobacco ban. In the other corner you have the folks who just seem to be sympathetic towards the folks who work at the stadium who have to clean up that disgusting sh*t. At the end of the day if you're discreet I highly doubt that anyone is going to stop you from dipping at a game. So it's much ado about nothing. 

• Upvote 1