Kyle Bradish Has Sprained UCL, Will Start Season On IL (4/9 Update: Assigned rehab assignment w/Aberdeen)

DrinkinWithFermi

20 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I would agree.   I think anything Bradish gives them this season is a bonus and they shouldn't be relying on him to be taking regular starts. 

If this is how they feel then he should just have the TJS. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why should he?

What's in it for him?

Being able to return to pitching in 2025 instead of 2026 if the surgery is put off for too long. I don't think that call needs to be made now, but the worst case scenario for the Orioles and Bradish is rehabbing his arm only to decide in July that Tommy John surgery is necessary.

12 minutes ago, dystopia said:

If this is how they feel then he should just have the TJS. 

I'm not sure that TJ is required, I'm just thinking that in a case like this you need to be prepared that KB won't be available for the season.   I hope that he can work this out through some sort of program that doesn't involve surgery, but I think the team needs to be looking at this in a "worst case" scenario.

34 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Being able to return to pitching in 2025 instead of 2026 if the surgery is put off for too long. I don't think that call needs to be made now, but the worst case scenario for the Orioles and Bradish is rehabbing his arm only to decide in July that Tommy John surgery is necessary.

Or be one of the guys that never come back from TJ.

If I'm Bradish I'm exhausting other options before I let them cut me.

• Upvote 3

I’ve been trying to figure out how long it takes to get through a typical throwing progression in a non-surgical situation.  Best I can tell, we might see Bradish throwing off a mound in about three weeks.   Then, another 3-4 weeks before he’d be ready for a rehab assignment.  So, if everything went perfectly, possible to be back on the mound for the Orioles mid-May, I would say.   It’s not directly comparable, but Dillon Tate made his first MiL rehab start last year on April 25.   I’d imagine the hope is to have Bradish on a similar timetable, though hopefully with better results, needless to say.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

^^^ What he said.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It shouldn’t take that long to figure it out.  I’d say they should be able to make a decision by mid-May at latest - could be sooner if Bradish has setbacks during the rehab process.  

13 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

That's a good sign hoping Bradish is able to avoid surgery. I trust Elias and Hyde are going to take their time in easing Bradish back into the pitching rotation if there aren't any setbacks with his rehabilitation.

I don't really buy it until he's throwing full effort to batters. That's when I expect the "yeah jk this ain't working" to happen. 

28 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't really buy it until he's throwing full effort to batters. That's when I expect the "yeah jk this ain't working" to happen. 

There's definitely a lot of cope in my comment. I know pitchers have made the "no pain" comment time and again over the years only to end up on the IL for a significant period of time.

I would be more at ease if the Orioles announced they signed Jordan Montgomery so even if Bradish is a goner this season the team has the depth to overcome his absence.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’ve been trying to figure out how long it takes to get through a typical throwing progression in a non-surgical situation.  Best I can tell, we might see Bradish throwing off a mound in about three weeks.   Then, another 3-4 weeks before he’d be ready for a rehab assignment.  So, if everything went perfectly, possible to be back on the mound for the Orioles mid-May, I would say.   It’s not directly comparable, but Dillon Tate made his first MiL rehab start last year on April 25.   I’d imagine the hope is to have Bradish on a similar timetable, though hopefully with better results, needless to say.  

I have read a month to three months. When was he diagnosed with the UCL? How long was he shut down?