Go get ________________________________

Bahama O's Fan

Considering Blake Snell is a overpay and any team that gets him is probably not getting a quality return on their investment, I'm taking him off my radar. Instead, Montgomery is at the top of my wish list for the correct amount of years (and potentially a Means replacement). 

Go get one of...

1. Montgomery

2. Lazardo

3. Ryu or Lorenzen for cheap

And go get a high leverage reliever. Preferably LHP. The names to target would have to be trades because there's no good free agents left. I'm thinking maybe along the lines of Suter or Raley. Also doesn't hurt to ask the Pirates if they might be willing to talk about Bednar and see what the asking price is.

I think the team can fill in the rest of the roster by picking up some under the radar talent like they did last season after seeing Coulombe in a spring training game. 

I don't expect us to pony up for Snell or Montgomery. Maybe if they, for whatever reason, decide a 1 year deal is OK but seems pretty unlikely. I think Ryu or Lorenzen on a 1 year deal makes sense.

30 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

MLBTR is raising the question of, should Snell sign a short term deal, ala Correa.

Correa signed a 3/105 deal with an opt out after year one.

Would you sign Snell to a similar deal if ownership was good with it?

Yes, but I would tweak it lower with big incentives and a larger buyout. So 2 years 65m with a 35m option or 10m buyout.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

MLBTR is raising the question of, should Snell sign a short term deal, ala Correa.

Yes.

4 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I believe @Frobby listed projected arbitration increases for our core 10 players would exceed our current top 10 players by about $20m or so four years from now. If that's where payrolls are going (and they should be) I'd like to see them go ahead and make that payroll jump to +/- $120m starting this year and giving Montgomery +/-$25m a year. His contract would come off the books as you'd need to start paying $25m+ to Adley/Gunnar/Holliday.

Yes and even give Montgomery the opt out after 3 years he'll likely want.  There's a good chance he's gone after 3 years when arbitration raises are getting bigger.  There's zero reason the O's shouldn't do this other than JA stinginess.  Looking forward to a time when if the O's don't sign a free agent it's because they don't like him and not because of a stingy owner.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Absolutely.