Go get ________________________________

Bahama O's Fan

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

MLBTR is raising the question of, should Snell sign a short term deal, ala Correa.

Correa signed a 3/105 deal with an opt out after year one.

Would you sign Snell to a similar deal if ownership was good with it?

Yes.  He and Burnes were arguably the best 2 pitchers available this off-season.  If we landed both it would be a coup. 

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

MLBTR is raising the question of, should Snell sign a short term deal, ala Correa.

Would you sign Snell to a similar deal if ownership was with it?

I would guess a short-term deal greatly benefits the team in most free agent situations. I dont think Boras or Snell are there yet.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Other than the fact we are the Orioles, this makes too much sense 

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Ownership is unsettled at the moment. Until MLB formally signs off on the sale and the docs are signed between Angelos and Rubenstein, I suspect Elias won’t add payroll beyond a specific already agreed to figure. With payroll already around $96 million it may be the trade deadline before a significant addition is possible. 

6 hours ago, G54377 said:

Maybe there's a Miguel Gonzalez out there. 

No offense ….But it’s unwise to replace Bradish with a Miguel type project. 

So, I never counted on Means from the beginning. After being shutdown before the playoff with Elbow/forearm issues it’s possible he injured the new ligament.

So I’d be looking for one of the bigger names like Luzardo and a lesser guy to replace Means. Since he’s Arb 3 and all I’d release Means and use his 3.3 million else. And I wouldn’t feel bad about it. We paid him all of last year to rest and rehab. 

14 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

No offense ….But it’s unwise to replace Bradish with a Miguel type project. 

So, I never counted on Means from the beginning. After being shutdown before the playoff with Elbow/forearm issues it’s possible he injured the new ligament.

So I’d be looking for one of the bigger names like Luzardo and a lesser guy to replace Means. Since he’s Arb 3 and all I’d release Means and use his 3.3 million else. And I wouldn’t feel bad about it. We paid him all of last year to rest and rehab. 

Means' salary is already guaranteed.  Someone told me the union got rid of Miguel Gonzalez clause in last CBA.

Been said before but: Go get Trevor Bauer. League minimum, easy to cut bait with if it doesn't work out. He got railroaded, anyone with half a brain cell realizes that we as a society accept gender double standards, and tolerate more aggression towards men than we do towards women. We also tolerate more hyper-emotionalism from women than men, and give the benefit of doubt when such accusations were made. Sign Bauer, forget Luzardo.

2 minutes ago, MDS29 said:

Been said before but: Go get Trevor Bauer. League minimum, easy to cut bait with if it doesn't work out. He got railroaded, anyone with half a brain cell realizes that we as a society accept gender double standards, and tolerate more aggression towards men than we do towards women. We also tolerate more hyper-emotionalism from women than men, and give the benefit of doubt when such accusations were made. Sign Bauer, forget Luzardo.

If he had been in a relationship with a man and had acted the same way I'd feel the same about him.

10 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

For a minute let's set aside your political opinions.

The Japanese Central League has six teams. Which means they had roughly 30 or 40 starting pitchers. Just 26 pitched 100 innings. Bauer's ranking among those pitchers:

ERA (min 100 IP): 13th
IP: 16th
H/9: 14th
HR/9: 21st
BB/9: 12th
K/9: 2nd
K/BB: 7th

Summing that up, he was a 2nd or 3rd starter in a league that sits somewhere between AAA and the Majors. And he'll come with a media circus and a PR hit.

People look at his 2.76 ERA and think "oohh.. he's great". But the Central League had a 3.15 ERA. Total runs allowed were 3.5/game, or fewer than all but two MLB seasons in 150 years of history. Last year Japan was an epic pitching environment.

The average pitcher in a AAAA league had a 3.15 ERA. 2.76 is just a smidge better than average there. His ERA+ was 114 in a lesser league. Relative to his league his ERA was essentially the same as Tyler Wells or Bryan Baker, but the quality of competition was lower.

On the Yokohama Bay Stars, a 3rd place team, 74-66, 12 games out of first, he was their 3rd starter.

So, how far out on a limb do you want to go for that?

I think if you were trying to find reasons for not signing him, this post should be the reason. All the other stuff, if his teammates are ok with it, will go away if he pitches well, the team wins and the players like him.

But if he’s just not that good anymore, you can avoid signing. Still, for the league minimum or even some kind of NRI type contract, I don’t think it’s some monster risk. You just cut him. 

Maybe if he you make him a reliever, he sees a slight uptick in stuff.

21 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

For a minute let's set aside your political opinions.

The Japanese Central League has six teams. Which means they had roughly 30 or 40 starting pitchers. Bauer's ranking among those pitchers:

ERA (min 100 IP): 13th
IP: 16th
H/9: 14th
HR/9: 21st
BB/9: 12th
K/9: 2nd
K/BB: 7th

Summing that up, he was a 2nd or 3rd starter in a league that sits somewhere between AAA and the Majors. And he'll come with a media circus.

People look at his 2.76 ERA and think "oohh.. he's great". But the Central League had a 3.15 ERA. The average pitcher in a AAAA league had a 3.15 ERA. 2.76 is just a smidge better than average there. His ERA+ was 114 in a lesser league. Relative to his league his ERA was essentially the same as Tyler Wells or Bryan Baker, but the quality of competition was lower.

So, how far out on a limb do you want to go for that?

LOL it's not a political position. Evolutionary psychologists argue that we’re naturally hardwired to care about women’s suffering more because “eggs are expensive, sperm is cheap.” There's certainly a lot of truth to that, though I'm sure if one considers how most cultures throughout history have treated women, and because it seems to assume a mechanism based in group selection. Whether or not the tendency reflects a rule of human nature, it is unquestionably true that the modern west prioritizes female well-being, and that's a good thing.

Look your points probably do point to some regression for Bauer since he last pitched in the MLB. I'm not really arguing that, but I also think he'd come very cheap (read easy to get rid of if he is a detrimental club-house presence) and frankly I still think his K/9 numbers point to more long-term run prevention when compared to Kremer (who I like but is not really more than a 5th starter), Wells (again, I like, but seems to be more a bullpen piece as he wears down), and Irvin (who is an AAAA guy).

Bradish is out for the year in all likelihood. John Means is on the brink of injuries ending his career as an effective MLB Pitcher.

You have Burnes, G-Rod (injury prone?), Kremer, Irvin, Wells......baking in regression from last year, going to be hard to repeat as AL East champs without MLB proven arms imo.

Edited by MDS29