Bauer interested in O's

Bigbie03

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

My point was the screen shots you posted didn't exactly paint a picture of Bauer being a baseball savant. And yes that's relelvant to the discussion because some folks have noted his potential ability to provide guidance and tutelage to our younger players as a selling point for taking a chance on him. 

And my point was he’s not as bad of a teammate and a cancer as some people want to paint him. I find the guy fascinating for what he’s done on the field.  Honestly, I don’t follow what he’s done or said off the field, and don’t really care.  I’ll leave that up to Elias to judge.  But purely on baseball, a cutting edge player seemingly could thrive in a cutting edge organization.  I have to imagine his constant learning & experimenting could help out some of the younger players in the org.  But what do I know, I’m a rando posting on a message board.  Just my 2 cents. 

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Huh?  Pedro Martinez had a professional pitching coach at 8, was he well off?  Maybe his family sacrificed for his dream?  Bauer grew up in a working class cookie cutter neighborhood in Santa Clarita.  His dad busted his ass so his son could chase a dream.  His dad was obsessed with baseball and got him lessons (first with a Dominican player) but more important he held him accountable to the workouts and practice regimes or he wouldn’t continue buying lessons.  

But that’s not even what I was talking about.  He had no vertical, no broad jump, was slow as hell, wasn’t strong and powerful, and was 6’ 165 as a freshman in college.  He wasn’t a natural athlete by any definition of the word.  He made him self from nothing.  

To the first point, his father was by all accounts a successful chemical engineer-I don't think he struggled.  

To the second point, I don't think even his most ardent detractors question his work ethic.

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He’d be happy to be a Rockies or an Athletic.

I’m not sure about that.  I think he’d get frustrated.  From what I’ve read he’s all about being the absolute best and using every possible avenue to achieve greatness.  An old school org like the Rockies would drive him insane…unless they game him carte Blanche on managing their player dev system lol.  Only reason I think he’d be a fit with the O’s is that he’d be aligned with their vision on how to develop players and max out production.  It seems they’d work with each other as opposed to against (which is where his friction has occurred at previous stops). 

Here’s the flip side that you could see me on… who the heck else are we going to get other than Bauer? So at that point, I want to win. But admittedly… I’ll probably flip flop on this everyday until Bauer’s first start as an O. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

4 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I’m not sure about that.  I think he’d get frustrated.  From what I’ve read he’s all about being the absolute best and using every possible avenue to achieve greatness.  An old school org like the Rockies would drive him insane…unless they game him carte Blanche on managing their player dev system lol.  Only reason I think he’d be a fit with the O’s is that he’d be aligned with their vision on how to develop players and max out production.  It seems they’d work with each other as opposed to against (which is where his friction has occurred at previous stops). 

His career is in jeopardy.  He just wants to get his foot back in the door.

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

C'mon man, you know damn well that I was was speaking in hyberbole. My point was that someone who's more experienced and qualified (i.e., Elias) should be making the decision (not the players) and in this case that person happens to be older. 

If you're upset about the Moose, Jr post then I apologize. That was 100% meant as a joke. 

I'm going to say this because it apparently it needs to be said. WE GET YOUR VIEWPOINT ON BAUER!

You just keep fighting the same fight. You've made your points on why you don't want him. Seems like now you're just looking to try and counter anything anyone posts about Bauer not being the Anti-Christ.

For me, I'm very much in the camp of being fine with whatever way Elias wants to go because he has more info than I do about him. 

At this point it's either going to happen or not. Continuing the Bauer debate without any new information seems like it's just two sides continuing the same arguments.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

To the first point, his father was by all accounts a successful chemical engineer-I don't think he struggled.  

To the second point, I don't think even his most ardent detractors question his work ethic.

I’d say they were squarely middle class.

A poster or two have mentioned Gerrit Cole calling him lazy while at UCLA.  I think that’s what set me off on this path of sticking up for the guy.   

I think I’m done on the Bauer topic.  I don’t really care that much if they sign him or not.  I’d be shocked if they do so it’s a moot point anyway.  

38 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Just think of all of our options out there, signing Bauer is the 2nd favorite…

80% - Do nothing

5% - Sign Bauer

4% - Sign Ryu

3% - Sign Lorenzen

3% - Sign Clevinger

3% - make a small trade

1% - Trade for Cease

1% - Trade for Luzardo

If you are talking likely to happen you should have Bauer at the very bottom.  

2 hours ago, emmett16 said:

And my point was he’s not as bad of a teammate and a cancer as some people want to paint him. I find the guy fascinating for what he’s done on the field.  Honestly, I don’t follow what he’s done or said off the field, and don’t really care.  I’ll leave that up to Elias to judge.  But purely on baseball, a cutting edge player seemingly could thrive in a cutting edge organization.  I have to imagine his constant learning & experimenting could help out some of the younger players in the org.  But what do I know, I’m a rando posting on a message board.  Just my 2 cents. 

You find a middle of the road SP to be fascinating based on his on field performance only? Wow, wait until you hear about Dean Kremer. 

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

You find a middle of the road SP to be fascinating based on his on field performance only? Wow, wait until you hear about Dean Kremer. 

I like Kremer a lot.  I wasn’t aware he changed how pitchers train and design pitches.  Pleas fill me in, I’d love to hear more about it.  

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, RZNJ said:

If you are talking likely to happen you should have Bauer at the very bottom.  

I hear you, but the fact that he wants to play for the league minimum has to be enticing to our ownership group. I think we’d have to tell him to tone down his mound antics and social media stuff. Just fly under the radar with boring post game answers. Not the “I told you so” crusade that seems inevitable.