Spring Training Lineups

DirtyBird

9 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

My thoughts exactly, ME wasn't going to allow JH to shred the paper mache excuse for sending him down.

It’s not really a paper mache excuse.  I think I posted yesterday that he was 2 for 14 with 9 strikeouts against LHP and he did look a little off against them.  Having said that, they could have easily semi platooned him while he adjusted, which I think he was already doing.   Technically, they are right, that he’s not fully baked.   

Edited by RZNJ

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It’s not really a paper mache excuse.  I think I posted yesterday that he was 2 for 14 with 9 strikeouts against LHP and he did look a little off against them.  Having said that, they could have easily semi platooned him while he adjusted, which I think he was already doing.   Technically, they are right, that he’s not fully baked.   

While I agree that JH is not fully baked, sending him down because he isn't ready to face MLB lefties is weak because he won't face them in AAA either, hence my paper mache comment. I think he needs more AAA seasoning defensively at 2B and just more PAs to get him rolling before coming up to stay. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the Gunner treatment this year to preserve ROY status next year.

I could really go for an "All First Name" lineup like this (not in actual batting order):

C - Adley

1B - Jordan

2B - Jackson

3B - Coby

SS - Gunnar

LF - Kyle or Austin

CF - Colton 

RF - Heston

DH - Connor

P - Pick one - they're all cool names: Corbin, Grayson, Tyler, Kyle, Cole, Dean

This is how I think Elais needs to thing about constructing a roster.

10 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

While I agree that JH is not fully baked, sending him down because he isn't ready to face MLB lefties is weak because he won't face them in AAA either, hence my paper mache comment. I think he needs more AAA seasoning defensively at 2B and just more PAs to get him rolling before coming up to stay. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the Gunner treatment this year to preserve ROY status next year.

I would be very surprised.   Gunnar started that year in AA and wasn’t  as great in AAA.   I suspect Holliday is going to be putting up boffo numbers by the end of May.   Holding him down until late August seems far fetched to me.

BTW, it’s nice to get a pick in the 30-35 range but I think people are a little too hung up on it’s importance.

Edited by RZNJ

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

BTW, it’s nice to get a pick in the 30-35 range but I think people are a little too hung up on it’s importance.

Agreed, but if you hold him until end of August you preserve the ROY for 2025 and potential pick as well as gaining the extra year of control. By then DR will be in control and "could" make extending JH a signature move with a 8-9 year contract. I can dream.

1 minute ago, AnythingO's said:

Agreed, but if you hold him until end of August you preserve the ROY for 2025 and potential pick as well as gaining the extra year of control. By then DR will be in control and "could" make extending JH a signature move with a 8-9 year contract. I can dream.

No need to hold him down that long to gain the extra year.  

Blue Jays hometown announcers said Cuban import Yariel Rodriguez (good in 2022 Asia and 2023 WBC, then took a year off) is one of the pitchers Toronto will throw in Sarasota tonight.

With Manoah-Gausman both fully and partially absent first couple weeks, they are talking openly about bulk relievers just helping them survive first couple weeks.

Maybe a fit for Julio Teheran or the others with opt-outs.

Blue Jays announcers also had the detail that both Daniel Vogelbach and Joey Votto have the $2M if they make the MLB roster kind of situation.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Blue Jays hometown announcers said Cuban import Yariel Rodriguez (good in 2022 Asia and 2023 WBC, then took a year off) is one of the pitchers Toronto will throw in Sarasota tonight.

With Manoah-Gausman both fully and partially absent first couple weeks, they are talking openly about bulk relievers just helping them survive first couple weeks.

Maybe a fit for Julio Teheran or the others with opt-outs.

Blue Jays announcers also had the detail that both Daniel Vogelbach and Joey Votto have the $2M if they make the MLB roster kind of situation.

I believe Teheran is planning to sign the Mets if he opts out from the O's.