MLB Spring Breakout game tonight at 7 on MLB Network

fansince1988

Good idea for the games.  

I guess they can’t cover all the games with National announcers but MLB should tell the teams to cover the games differently. When they had Mayo in the booth it was better. Invite announcers from other team in booth. 

Also I don’t think it’s a bad idea to allow some rookies as well. Players like Kjerstad and Cowser types. Not someone like Gunnar but players with less experience who still qualify as prospects. 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

It’s funny to see you guys continue to complain about national broadcasts and wonder why the announcers don’t know as much about the Orioles compared to all of us who go back and forth on this board all day and have been doing so for years. 

It was the Pirates announcers and half the time you had no idea who was up for the Orioles.  Honestly, I could have cared less if they were biased. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

It’s funny to see you guys continue to complain about national broadcasts and wonder why the announcers don’t know as much about the Orioles compared to all of us who go back and forth on this board all day and have been doing so for years. 

That was the problem. 

It was a Pirates spring broadcast. All about Pirates. MLB kept promoting the game. Use announcers from both teams. 

I don’t expect watching a road Orioles spring game to be about the Orioles but MLB has to promote these games differently. 

8 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I will say this... The Pirates organization and their fans have every reason to be that excited about Paul Skenes. I think he might become one of the greatest starting pitchers we've seen in decades.

All of their pitching looked good.  

28 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I will say this... The Pirates organization and their fans have every reason to be that excited about Paul Skenes. I think he might become one of the greatest starting pitchers we've seen in decades.

Of course they can be excited but the odds of him being the greatest starting pitcher in decades are basically zero.

42 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wasn't a national broadcast team. It was the usual Pirates TV team, and they didn't even know their own guys aside from Skenes. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

It's all about injuries with pitchers. And a majority of them get hurt.

Stephen Strasburg had the same amount of hype - even more so - and he may have actually wound up one of the best pitchers in decades if it hadn't been for injuries. I still remember watching Strasburg's first start, he was absolutely electric.

40 minutes ago, shakester23 said:

That broadcast was terrible on so many levels. Not showing the batter’s name on screen is unfathomable.  I enjoyed watching Trace Bright - he was giving me strong Brad Brach vibes.  

Watching it I actually thought about MASN production values, OPACY and the All-Star game.    I wondered if the Orioles couldn't get home field for an event like this without MASN sending Geoff Arnold and Dave Johnson to Sarasota, which this year they haven't done.

Other team's hometown announcers are their own kind of interesting.    No one from MASN would have criticized Jud Fabian for catching a ball flat-flooted giving a baserunner a chance to tag up.

We'd heard some reports this winter Thomas Sosa had grown to Gregory Polanco size, and it was nice seeing that in real life.

I agree on Bright - I think a good summer puts him in the mix with every live Arm in the Org for those precious fall roster spots.

1 hour ago, justD said:

Nice throw from LF, almost got the runner at third. Had to look it up, seems it was Jud Fabian. 

Pirates hometown color guy said he thought pre-catch footwork was bad, but it was a very nice throw.

EBJ's speed on the bunt was just the kind of a thing a showcase like this is nice for - just too bad Holliday hit a bullet into somebody's glove.

It was nice seeing Povich and Bright get proper mid-March work for SP prospects vs. parading guys for 11 pitches.

Basallo got handled by a real prospect lefty - he'll see more of that breaking into the high Minors for real.

Beavers I don't think I saw a swing and miss - starting his year his mix of power and contact is a nice interesting one to follow.

Braylin Tavera, Thomas Sosa and Leandro Arias alive and in the flesh in the USA nice to see - hoping we get Delmarva 3-for-3, and no extended spring training.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, shakester23 said:

That broadcast was terrible on so many levels. Not showing the batter’s name on screen is unfathomable.  I enjoyed watching Trace Bright - he was giving me strong Brad Brach vibes.  

Funny, I was thinking Dylan Bundy...  following Povich's Matusz imitation. 

Edited by now