Melewski: Hyde sets the rotation

interloper

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I don't see the SP depth quite as problematically. It's normal for contending teams to still have some trouble at SP5 and beyond. 

Last year the 100 win Dodgers survived a 6.13 ERA Michael Grove and 7.16 ERA Noah Syndergaard getting 12 starts each. The 104 win Braves survived 7 starts from 7.60 ERA Dylan Dodd, 7 starts from 6.97 ERA Kyle Wright, and 6 starts from 6.40 ERA Michael Soroka. 

This April the Yankees likely 5th starter Clayton Beeter is a rookie who had a 4.94 ERA at AAA last year. One of the Astros' starters Ronel Blanco is an Austin Voth-esque 30 year old with 58.1 career innings of a 4.78 ERA.

These examples are picked to find the bad, of course. But find me a team whose 8th/9th SPs-- or even 6th/7th-- don't have serious question marks. 

Yeah that's a good point and everything, but I'm honestly less worried about Irvin at #5 than I am about Grayson at #2. The guy spent half his 2023 season in Norfolk, and we're relying on him to be a #2 on a WS-caliber team? We don't even know if his 2nd half last year is likely to be repeated, much less lean on him as one of our top starting pitchers. Obviously he's got the upside to do it, but... it just seems a little cavalier. They needed to find a #2 after they got Burnes, IMO. Because that was supposed to be Bradish. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, interloper said:

Yeah that's a good point and everything, but I'm honestly less worried about Irvin at #5 than I am about Grayson at #2. The guy spent half his 2023 season in Norfolk, and we're relying on him to be a #2 on a WS-caliber team? We don't even know if his 2nd half last year is likely to be repeated, much less lean on him as one of our top starting pitchers. Obviously he's got the upside to do it, but... it just seems a little cavalier. They needed to find a #2 after they got Burnes, IMO. Because that was supposed to be Bradish. 

I like Grayson and think he's going to be fine, but he did not have a great spring and got off to a cold start last year as well. Hopefully he will right the ship in the 2nd game of the season.

28 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I wonder with Wells pitching the 3rd game and Kremer the 4th, was Wells really the guy who was going to be out of the rotation if Bradish and Means did not come to camp hurt/behind? 

It would have been competitive.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It would have been competitive.  

I think you right. Most of us just thought Wells was the obvious choice to go to the pen. But he has outpitched Kremer this spring. 

33 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think you right. Most of us just thought Wells was the obvious choice to go to the pen. But he has outpitched Kremer this spring. 

but Wells has shown himself to be a very good reliever, 0.7 WHIP, 9.8k/9 in that role.

i don’t think Kremer has that kind of make up.

With tonight's washout official, curious to see if they have Burnes throw hot tonight, or let him go tomorrow, maybe with a little smaller pitch count.

MASN is showing the Blue Jays visiting at 600 tomorrow.    I guess if Elias reschedules him Toronto might send more of the A lineup for a look Buck Showalter would have hated to give division opponents late in spring training.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

And outpitched him all of last season.

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

With tonight's washout official, curious to see if they have Burnes throw hot tonight, or let him go tomorrow, maybe with a little smaller pitch count.

MASN is showing the Blue Jays visiting at 600 tomorrow.    I guess if Elias reschedules him Toronto might send more of the A lineup for a look Buck Showalter would have hated to give division opponents late in spring training.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Safelykept said:

I trust the first 4 but we need Means

I can envision Wells and Means tag teaming that #3 spot half way through the season. Both those guys are great in short bursts but they don't seem to last a full season. 

12 hours ago, interloper said:

Yes it's a risk, but going by last season, you have to look at Gunnar Henderson too. Gunnar got straightened out earlier than Grayson, but Grayson was every bit the legit #2 in the second half as Gunnar was a legit ROY. And no one is doubting Gunnar's star status for this year.

There is huge pressure on Burnes to be El Jefe. He's in his last year before FA. He's the clear and absolute #1 on a playoff caliber team. He's supported by a bullpen with a number of significant ?s. He got a lot on his shoulders. I wish him health.