Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think probably what’s bothering people the most is that Holliday was hitting unbelievably well as of his call-up (.333/.462/.595), and he hasn’t been at that level of domination since being sent down (.259/.437/.445).  Plus, his K rate was 14.3% before the call-up, 24.2% since.   Bottom line, his meteoric ascent last year and his fast start this year set crazy-high expectations that he’s not quite meeting.   Personally, I’m not worried at all, but I’d like to see his post-return BA back in the .300ish range before I’d be clamoring for another call-up.   

I agree with that and he's only two years out of high school. If Holliday gets back to his pre-call up stat line as you mentioned then he deserves serious consideration to be back on the Orioles roster.

For now Mayo and Norby are deserving of being called up if the Orioles want to bring up a player from Norfolk.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I just want to riff on the term “elite athlete.”   To me, different people have different ideas of what level of quality is “elite,” and what it means to be an “athlete.”    For some people, “elite” means top 10% of the whole populace, for others it means top 0.1% of people who play professional sports.   Some people consider you “athletic” if you are very well coordinated and have good ability to learn skills, others don’t consider you “athletic” unless you could hold your own in the Olympic decathlon.   So a lot of times, people arguing about whether someone is an “elite athlete” are really talking past each other because they don’t ageee on what the term means.  

To me, most pro sports players are elite athletes, and it’s just a matter of how elite they are.   In the case of Holliday, he’s athletic enough to be an awesome baseball player, and that’s elite enough for me.

An elite athlete is somebody who has played high-level tennis, bowling, stickball, jax, and pogs for at least 10 years each, AND posts about it all non-stop on the Internet. Pretty sure that's how Websters defines it anyway.

Edited by andymax
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, andymax said:

An elite athlete is somebody who has played high-level tennis, bowling, stickball, jax, and pogs for at least 10 years each, AND posts about it all non-stop on the Internet. Pretty sure that's how Websters defines it anyway.

I know what Jax are.  I’m going to have to google pogs.

BTW, I wasn’t bad for a self-taught tennis player but I considered myself elite in Pong, the first home video game EVER.

Edited by RZNJ

54 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Those 34 at bats were real.   They don’t need to be separated from reality, they’re part of reality.   I’d say if you don’t consider them, you’re ignoring part of reality.  But they’re not everything.  And as I just said above, I think people are more nervous about the fact that his post-call up performance doesn’t match his pre-call up performance, specifically the BA and the K rate.   But, I consider those things to be relatively minor blips.  

Accepting that SSS as reality and basically ignore everything he has accomplished is flat out stupid and many Os fans are doing that. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I still say there’s a 50% chance that Holliday starts a playoff game. 

Sometime in his career?   Yeah, I agree.  

Oh, you meant 2024?  I won’t say it’s impossible but I’d put the odds at more like 20%.