Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I have100% stated and will continue to state that he is not going to be a good defender at SS.. because he will not be a good defender at SS

Your words and not the only time you have said it. In that same thread you state what you said you stated but then you also say this.  You have done that several times.

Ticket tape in action, a receipt printer printing out textual tweets

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

I believe the best potential outfielder out of Jordan Westburg, Coby Mayo and Jackson Holliday is Westburg.

With Santander still here, and two rookie integration taxes unpaid that is a nothing burger in 2024.

Hyde would still need 3B Westburg on DH Mayo days, and I don't think we'll have O'Hearn and Mountcastle both next year.

Play Mayo in RF. Leave Westburg at 3rd. Question is whether Kjerstad can handle LF.  

3 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Him improving and still not being a good defender there can both be true. And they would be if he was going to stick there but they’ve already moved him. He’s a 2B now and has to prove he can stick there. I think that is his best position in the infield but as I have stated for almost two years now, a move to the outfield is not out of the realm of possibility for him. 

Ok, now you are moving the goal posts. I said you said he will never be good defensively and you laughed it off and said you never said that.  This is just one post of proof that you are wrong. You absolutely said it and have said it other times.

Edited by Sports Guy

21 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Here’s the thing though - it doesn’t matter what any of us think. It’s about what ME, Hyde and Co. believe is best for the org and if you’ve ever heard JW in media or spoken with him in person, I promise you that he would run through a brick wall if Hyde asked him to do so. There would be no convincing. He would say “RF, skip? Alright” and trot his ass out to RF and play as hard there as anywhere else on the field. 

This is very naive. This is a business and this is how these guys make money.

Nobody is ordering all-star level players to do things that they don’t want to do. That’s not how pro sports works in 2024. i.e Gunnar was played around the INF until he wasn’t. Did you see the laugh he gave during Spring Training when it was suggest that he was just holding the position for Jackson Holliday? The laugh and look said over my dead body. Both he and Boras know what will get him the most bucks and stardom and it’s not traveling around the INF doing whatever the skip says…lol

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

This is very naive. This is a business and this is how these guys make money.

Nobody is ordering all-star level players to do things that they don’t want to do. That’s not how pro sports works in 2024. i.e Gunnar was played around the INF until he wasn’t. Did you see the laugh he gave during Spring Training when it was suggest that he was just holding the position for Jackson Holliday? The laugh and look said over my dead body. Both he and Boras know what will get him the most bucks and stardom and it’s not traveling around the INF doing whatever the skip says…lol

I think you’re the one who’s naive.  

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ok, now you are moving the goal posts. I said you said he will never be good defensively and you laughed it off and said you never said that.  This is just one post of proof that you are wrong. You absolutely said it and have said it other times.

No. You claimed I couldn’t concede that he would improve, which I’ve never stated. Ever.

Yes I do not see him ever being a ‘good’ defender.

I have never wavered on either of these statements. You’re gaslighting yourself. 

Mayo will be our position player callup when rosters expand from 26 to 28 in September. He’ll probably strictly DH. We mainly need to get him some ABs so he can DH in the playoffs vs LHP when Adley catches. He could potentially beat Mounty or O’Hearn out for DH vs RHP. Probably Mounty with O’Hearn playing 1B. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

2 base throwing error.  Three runs scored.  

My bad. I actually went back and watched it. I didn’t realize I had access to after the game -full game access. 

Ball hit runner in back throwing to second with bases loaded.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think you’re the one who’s naive.  

I know you are but what am I? LOL

I could be. But from what I know about the business side of professional sports, things are not very simple. And athletes have advisors/agents/business managers/personal coaches all weighing in on things. 

Nowadays in MLB some guys even have their own personal hitting/pitching coaches.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

You have 100% said he will never be good defensively at SS.  In one post you will say he could get better and then in another post you will say, he never will. 100% you have said that.

This is what I said. I said you said he wouldn’t be good defensively…and you said that. Stop lying about your stance or what I’m saying.  This is exactly what is said and is front of you.

And having that opinion and thought is completely stupid.  I have always said THIS opinion is where you are on an island. Zero people have said he “will never be good defensively at SS”. 

That is what you have said and that is where I have always had an issue with your thought.

I don’t believe I have ever said you were wrong about what you are saying right now. I have said Elias differs from you and that the industry disagrees with you because no other person is saying that he can’t be good at SS eventually.

So while you trying not to pull a muscle patting yourself on the back, you haven’t been proven right at all (long term) because the book isn’t written on Holliday as of yet.  

I think it’s clear he has been trying to strengthen his arm because of the elbow issue. He appears to be a hard working and coachable kid. Now, maybe it will just be that Gunnar turns out to be too good to move and third base will be in great hands, so second base is where he ends up. So be it if all that happens. 

But I don’t think we will know that for at least a few years.

Edited by Sports Guy

At worst, Mayo has 5 more weeks in the minors. We’ll have a 28 man roster in September. 

Next year we have Santander as a FA. Tough arb decisions on Hays, Mounty, and Mullins. Urias could be gone. Either way, Mayo will be an everyday bat next year. We will need him this year. Just gotta wait til September. 

• Upvote 1