Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

17 minutes ago, survivedc said:

You want to remove the starting 1B (who is easily on his way to a career best year) from the lineup and replace him with two rookies in a pennant chase year?

Yeah, call me crazy but I don't think his .795 OPS is irreplaceable by a platoon of two young hitters as fine as Mayo and Kjerstad. I'm not usually an agressive call-up guy but Mayo's bat strikes me as special, to the point where might even well exceed whatever Mountcastle is doing, and I think he's beyond ready at this point. Kjerstad strikes me as likely able to put up a pretty decent OPS against righties only, too. 

Call it a high upside move, considering that you would get something of value back for Mountcastle, with a pretty low risk overall, IMO, in that you hedge your bets with two fine young hitters like that, in case one has more growing pains than expected, and you also have the platoon factor. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Yeah, call me crazy but I don't think his .795 OPS is irreplaceable by a platoon of two young hitters as fine as Mayo and Kjerstad. I'm not usually an agressive call-up guy but Mayo's bat strikes me as special, to the point where might even well exceed whatever Mountcastle is doing, and I think he's beyond ready at this point. Kjerstad strikes me as likely able to put up a pretty decent OPS against righties only, too. 

Call it a high upside move, considering that you would get something of value back for Mountcastle, with a pretty low risk overall, IMO, in that you hedge your bets with two fine young hitters like that, in case one has more growing pains than expected, and you also have the platoon factor. 

I agree.  I think Mountcastle makes a ton of sense to move.

Wow am I the only one who appreciates how good a player Ryan Mountcastle is?

He was playing in the majors after raking in the minors at a younger age than either Mayo or Kierstadt.

Still only 27 yo

Not at all a given that they can meet his production now or even in the future.

Amazing how people go from one shiny object (Holliday once a future HOF, now can't play defense and not athletic) to Mayo a "can't miss" bat. and the bat will makeup for his 30+ errors in 100 games

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

He was playing in the majors after raking in the minors at a younger age than either Mayo or Kierstadt.

Still only 27 yo

Amazing how people go from one shiny object (Holliday once a future HOF, now can't play defense and not athletic) to Mayo a "can't miss" bat. and the bat will makeup for his 30+ errors in 100 games

Mounty is a solid guy who has enough holes offensively to make him expandable, especially as he starts getting expensive.

He shouldn’t be on the 2025 team. 

If he get you what you need now and you can replace him with a higher upside (albeit less of a sure thing) player, I think that’s the smart move to make.

Just now, webbrick2010 said:

Still only 27 yo

I love Mounty. I would also trade him if it meant getting pitching help not because of anything Mounty did wrong, but because of how legit Mayo is, and how desperate we are for pitching. 

Our current offense is so good, and our depth is so good, that we can afford to lose a guy like Mounty. It would be a slightly different, but still very good team. And hopefully a better overall team with the pitching we'd receive in return. 

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

Still only 27 yo

No, but if you're thinking about players with value, he has it. I like what RM has become as a hitter and his defense at 1B has clearly become better, but Mayo's bat may be elite. There are plenty here who project him as can't miss. Will he be a good fit at 1B? Maybe, it's not necessarily written in stone that he plays 3B and makes the errors you're talking about. RM and someone else may get the guy they need to solidify the rotation. And as you say, still only 27. Nothing should be off the table.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Mounty is a solid guy who has enough holes offensively to make him expandable, especially as he starts getting expensive.

He shouldn’t be on the 2025 team. 

If he get you what you need now and you can replace him with a higher upside (albeit less of a sure thing) player, I think that’s the smart move to make.

Didn't you not want him on the 2024 team?

44 minutes ago, survivedc said:

You want to remove the starting 1B (who is easily on his way to a career best year) from the lineup and replace him with two rookies in a pennant chase year?

I would. Mountcastle has the most trade value of the veterans. He (IMO) will not be here next April. Mayo could be here for 10 years and likely (IMO) will be obliterating Mountcastle's offensive numbers in 12 months.

15 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Still only 27 yo

It is disingenuous to reply to the posts about Mountcastle and say "am I the only one who appreciates...blah blah." Nobody said that.