Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

1 hour ago, TopGunnar said:

Nah bro. He was called up too early. He just turned 20. Somebody pressured Elias. Hope this doesn’t mess him up 

Nah.  He is too young to be permanently damaged by what is probably his first humbling experience baseball wise in his life.

Think back to when you were 20.  I can.  And I thought I could dominate or at least be competitive in every sport I played.  Even if I didn't.  It is just how 20 year olds are programmed.

That being said, as much as I said he should have made the opening day lineup, he has no business being on the MLB team right now.  He  hits as bad as a pitcher who hasn't swung a bat since HS.   In fact he looks like he belongs in HS.  He is that bad.  Fielding is a little better.  But throwing to first base he looks like a kid.  He just kind of aims it.  Doesn't throw it with authority.

He is not anywhere close, as in not even in the same universe, to be ready to contribute on a daily basis.   I may go to one of the next 3 games against the Angels so I will report back on what I see first hand, but my guess is if he does nothing?  He is sent back down faster than you can say 'that's what she said'.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

8 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I don’t think he should start tomorrow.

No, not against the lefty Detmer. 

In his next game, I would like to see him try to lay down a bunt, anticipating that he will continue to see offspeed stuff early in the count.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

It hurt to watch him take that 3-2 fastball right down the middle.  As much as you can sit on a 3-2 pitch, how can you not be ready for that.

He looks calm but keeps swinging under any fastball up in the zone.  I’m okay either way.  Give him another week or send him down but I don’t see any signs of him breaking out if he can’t touch fastballs up in the zone.   Since we’re giving tryouts, I’d love to see Mayo at 3B or Norby at 2B batting 9th.

This goes back to the first at bat I saw from him in Spring training.   He uppercut a very average fastball and whiffed. 

I really think his leg kick is doing him no favors.  Yeah you can time that playing against HS or low farm team players.

Against major leaguers?   You have no shot with that extended move.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Who pressured Elias into doing some he didn’t wanna do? What’s the conspiracy theory here? 

Unsure. Calling him up 2 weeks into the regular season just seems weird. 

Cause that’s easier. 

I’d rather have him in Baltimore with guys like Adley, Gunnar, Cowser and G-Rod who struggled initially and have him be around those guys so they can impart wisdom on him rather than doing whatever back at Norfolk.  I’d rather have him with the ML hitting coaches trying to solve the ML problems instead of raking at AAA. 

If he gets sent down it’s whatever. Fine. But I’m confident they can work on whatever issues he’s experiencing in Baltimore just as well. 

The thing is he isn't just struggling.  For lack of a better comparison he looks the same as if a WNBA player tried playing in the NBA.  Not even the same universe.

• Downvote 1

If a playoff game were to be played tomorrow, I'd feel alot more confident about the Orioles chances with Urias and Westburg in the lineup and Holliday wasn't. Specifically, Urias taking his gold glove to 3rd base and Westburg playing 2nd base.

Who pressured Elias into doing some he didn’t wanna do? What’s the conspiracy theory here? 

Scott Boras? David Rubinstein? Matt Holliday? Kyle Goon? Sports Guy? Can of Corn? Ben Clemens?

Edited by Warehouse

4 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

If a playoff game were to be played tomorrow, I'd feel alot more confident about the Orioles chances with Urias and Westburg in the lineup and Holliday wasn't. Specifically, Urias taking his gold glove to 3rd base and Westburg playing 2nd base.

Thankfully the playoffs are about 5 and 1/2 months away. (Almost a half of a year for him to figure some things out.)

2 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

Scott Boras? David Rubinstein? Matt Holliday? Kyle Goon? Sports Guy? Can of Corn? Ben Clemens?

I think Elias and others, like me, thought that based on how JH had performed in HS and in the minors, that it was reasonable to assume that while he probably would not play great right away, he at least could hold his own and grow into the situation.

But to me he looks like perhaps the worst player I have ever seen play the game of baseball in the major leagues.  He looks like he is 14 and plays like it.  I am sure at some point he will be a very good player but right now?   He has no business being on a major league field. 

Machado wasn't much older than JH when he was called up and yet the difference between the 2 starting out on the parent club is night and day.  World's apart.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I think Elias and others, like me, thought that based on how JH had performed in HS and in the minors, that it was reasonable to assume that while he probably would not play great right away, he at least could hold his own and grow into the situation.

But to me he looks like perhaps the worst player I have ever seen play the game of baseball in the major leagues.  He looks like he is 14 and plays like it.  I am sure at some point he will be a very good player but right now?   He has no business being on a major league field. 

Machado wasn't much older than JH when he was called up and yet the difference between the 2 starting out on the parent club is night and day.  World's apart.

Guess you didn't watch the O's when they were losing or you would have seen Davis.

I guess you also didn't see Machado's debut or you would know he was younger than Jackson.

30 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Nah.  He is too young to be permanently damaged by what is probably his first humbling experience baseball wise in his life.

Think back to when you were 20.  I can.  And I thought I could dominate or at least be competitive in every sport I played.  Even if I didn't.  It is just how 20 year olds are programmed.

That being said, as much as I said he should have made the opening day lineup, he has no business being on the MLB team right now.  He  hits as bad as a pitcher who hasn't swung a bat since HS.   In fact he looks like he belongs in HS.  He is that bad.  Fielding is a little better.  But throwing to first base he looks like a kid.  He just kind of aims it.  Doesn't throw it with authority.

He is not anywhere close, as in not even in the same universe, to be ready to contribute on a daily basis.   I may go to one of the next 3 games against the Angels so I will report back on what I see first hand, but my guess is if he does nothing?  He is sent back down faster than you can say 'that's what she said'.

I dominated my college intermural softball league when I was 20!

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Guess you didn't watch the O's when they were losing or you would have seen Davis.

I guess you also didn't see Machado's debut or you would know he was younger than Jackson.

I am not going to compare him to Davis.  An older vet to a 20 year old rookie?  And yes I have been an Oriole fan since I was 5 and watched Singleton and Murray and Bumbry and JL and Gary R tear it up.

And I was a huge fan of Crush.  And Crush had a past history.  Many great seasons.  MVP type seasons.   He was terrible at the end but to compare Davis with what JH is doing now is doing a great disservice to what Davis did as an O.

And I actually thought Manny was a little older than JH when he got called up.  By a few months.  So if you are saying he was actually younger?   That just proves my point even more.   Machado played like a man child out there.  JH plays like a child.

26 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I really think his leg kick is doing him no favors.  Yeah you can time that playing against HS or low farm team players.

It's about getting his lead heel down on time for the high velo but also maintaining the sequence for something offspeed.  He’s doing neither well.  No leg kick is just less moving parts but planting the heel is what really starts the actual swing.