2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

20 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Tomorrow against DL Hall, it'll be interesting to see who between Hays and Cowser they put in RF.

I figure we get DH Santander and O'Hearn in reserve starting the game.

Adley will probably DH w/ McCann catching 

6 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

It doesn't appear unusual to you that he's the only starting outfielder who has been sitting regularly?

Santander and Mullins have been struggling as well. 

Can't sit all three of them.

You want Mateo back out in Center?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Can't sit all three of them.

You want Mateo back out in Center?

I was thinking you'd rotate them.  Particularly early in the season when sample sizes are so miniscule. 

Not particularly.  But I don't see why Cowser or Hays can't play center occasionally. 

25 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Tomorrow against DL Hall, it'll be interesting to see who between Hays and Cowser they put in RF.

I figure we get DH Santander and O'Hearn in reserve starting the game.

The Brewers were rained out today and Hall is pitching saturday now. 

• Thanks 1

I may be in the minority, but I hope that Adley doesn’t DH a whole lot this season. I think if he catches 120 games and is able to maybe pinch hit I think that would be something that I would much prefer rather than having him play the majority of the games at either C or DH

Edited by Greg Pappas

2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I may be in the minority, but I hope that Adley doesn’t DH a whole lot this season. I think if he catches 120 games and is able to maybe pinch hit I think that would be something that I would much prefer rather than having him play the majority of the games at either C or DH

I agree with you on that. Sprinting around the base paths isn't exactly a rest day for a catcher. Adley puts in his best performances when he is fresh.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Mateo, surely, no? I have no idea why Holliday would start tomorrow other than it being his t-shirt / home debut night but I doubt that factors much into decisions...obviously he can come in when Hall comes out. 

I guess it's a good low/mid-level litmus test for the "tough lefty" scale I suppose.

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

And we hopefully have enough other good bats to have other DH options 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Someone always wants to claim injury when Hays struggles.

Yeah, I don’t get that.  He’s healthy.  He’s just not hitting.   Cowser is, so Cowser’s going to play right now.  It’s not that complicated.  

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I don’t get that.  He’s healthy.  He’s just not hitting.   Cowser is, so Cowser’s going to play right now.  It’s not that complicated.  

I just took a peak at Hays' Spring Trainings stats to see if there was a trend. Sure enough, he had a poor Spring Training too, but in 2023 he had a great Spring Training an that carried over into the season. In 2022 he had a bad Spring Training but he was able to correct course in the regular season and actually had a hot couple months there around May or June IIRC.

On the other hand, Cowser was outstanding in Spring Training this year and that's carried over into the regular season. (Ryan O'Hearn in 2023 as well).

All this to say that Spring Training actually does provide small clues about how well a player is seeing the baseball and what type of groove they are in.

9 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I just took a peak at Hays' Spring Trainings stats to see if there was a trend. Sure enough, he had a poor Spring Training too, but in 2023 he had a great Spring Training an that carried over into the season. In 2022 he had a bad Spring Training but he was able to correct course in the regular season and actually had a hot couple months there around May or June IIRC.

On the other hand, Cowser was outstanding in Spring Training this year and that's carried over into the regular season. (Ryan O'Hearn in 2023 as well).

All this to say that Spring Training actually does provide small clues about how well a player is seeing the baseball and what type of groove they are in.

Take a look at Urias’ spring.  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, btdart20 said:

I guess it's a good low/mid-level litmus test for the "tough lefty" scale I suppose.

Maybe not when he's not looking good yet against righties even.