2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

Just now, forphase1 said:

O'Hearn in the outfield is never a good idea.   Yeah I want his bat in the lineup,  but yuck.  Plus with all the extra foul room in Oakland, just don't love the idea.   

I’d rather Santander in the OF. Also, no reason for Hays to play over Cowser and Kjerstad with a RHP. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I’d rather Santander in the OF. Also, no reason for Hays to play over Cowser and Kjerstad with a RHP. 

Hyde’s probably just giving Hays a chance to keep up his momentum from yesterday, even though 2 of his 3 hits were vs. LHP.   Cowser’s done diddly lately.  As to Santander vs. O’Hearn in the OF, I prefer Anthony but Hyde probably just wants him off his feet for day.  O’Hearn has played much better in the OF this year than last year.  

Rockies Designate Dakota Hudson For Assignment

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/07/rockies-designate-dakota-hudson-for-assignment.html

Dakota Hudson has been very good in the past. Is he possible help to us relief or starter?  He was 16-7 in 2019 for the Cardinals.  If he is still good, it is better than trading our farm for 1 pitcher!!!

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why is it ok for them to use splits this way but yet they won’t play guys like Stowers and Kjerstad vs lefties when their splits say they should?

The inconsistencies are incredible sometimes.

He's pretty upfront that the splits, reverse or not, are only one part of the equation.  Further, he directly addresses the Stowers/Kjerstad stats, and is pretty upfront: They don't really trust the MiL splits.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

He's pretty upfront that the splits, reverse or not, are only one part of the equation.  Further, he directly addresses the Stowers/Kjerstad stats, and is pretty upfront: They don't really trust the MiL splits.

Well you can’t have ML splits without trying and you have at least some reason to try.

Its a weak and really dumb answer…especially when the alternatives aren’t that great anyway.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Well you can’t have ML splits without trying and you have at least some reason to try.

Its a weak and really dumb answer…especially when the alternatives aren’t that great anyway.

As we've seen with Cowser, they're willing to give guys more and more ABs based on performance, and that includes against same handed pitchers.

Nobody is just going to be handed an every day position- as you define it- coming out of the MiLs w the possible exception of Holliday, and we saw even that was not open-ended.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I'm kind of assuming a scenario where Mayo is deemed unplayable at 3B, so he has to play either 1B or OF. The idea is not to alter the R/L balance but that he would be better than RMC or Hays due to his bat. My sense is that long term Mayo may be RMC's long term replacement at 1B, so why not just accelerate that process?  Mayo is definitely more of a stretch to replace Hays, but depending on how Hays is playing it may be worth it. Basically, there are reasons to keep all the guys currently on the roster: we need Mateo and Urias for infield versatility, Cowser to back up center, Mountcastle and Hays to hit lefties... Something has to give for Mayo to crack the lineup.  
    • My only point about the ERA is that I don’t see the Pirates’ ERA as anything to write home about, and therefore I’m not ready to anoint their pitching development staff as anything special.  I agree that the Orioles’ ERA doesn’t say that much about their development either, though there are a number of guys on the staff not drafted in the Elias regime but developed during it. As to Fruit, I have no idea if he’ll be good or not, I just don’t want to write him off because he was 23 when he was drafted.  The things in the article that most interested me were the special ball they use to give instant feedback on spin, and just the process they’ve used to convert him from a 2-pitch pitcher to a 5-pitch pitcher.  It’s just interesting to get an inside look at the processes they’re following, whether they’re above average at pitching development or not.  And Meoli is good at digging into those types of details, regardless of whether it’s a puff piece.
    • I think last year’s draft was the first year of a period where the Orioles will use a lot more draft capital on pitchers. Here’s what I think the philosophy was, how it’s gone and where it is now: 1. Prioritize draft capital to college hitters, based on analytics showing those are most reliable expected value. The absurd hit rate on the most valuable picks outweighs everything, but Tony’s right that (since Ortiz) there’s lot of mid round picks that haven’t panned out on either all-tools guys or no-tools, not very high upside guys (until maybe Etzel this year). 2. Pre 2023, target late pitchers with little draft capital based on pitch characteristics. Tony’s right this hasn’t worked at all. Baumler being one of the few high upside arms they spent capital on being constantly hurt doesn’t help. 3. Pre 2023, since you’re not spending draft capital on pitchers, target lower level pitching prospects in trades that have better data to evaluate, and develop them. Elias has said he likes to target pitching prospects this way. This worked very well with Bradish, Povich and McDermott, and their development program should still get a lot of credit for them. 4. 2023 draft, the team is now contending and has an absurd group of positional players that can be the core of the team for the next 5 years. Not going to be sellers anymore, so we can’t get pitching prospects that way, and the need for positional prospects is much lower. Shift towards spending higher draft capital on pitchers (but not the first round pick, since the data so strongly says that should be a college hitter). Baumeister being underwhelming and the Lord and Sharkey injuries mean the early results are mixed, but the jury is still out. They’re still prioritizing pitch characteristics over performance, but they are not alone across the league in that approach. 5. This year with a very weak draft, we might even see a college pitcher round 1. I’d still be shocked to see this FO take a HS pitcher with a lot of draft capital, but I think we’ll have a repeat of last year allocating a lot more towards pitching, because that was the plan in the first place and the “safer” college hitters being a weak group only further reinforces that approach.  
    • A simple 2/3 would be four in the loss column, and effectively a 5-game head start in the 2nd Half as the Orioles would cross the finish line in the head to head race to 7 wins for divisional tiebreaker. Wimbledon week, Gerrit Cole had better hold serve against Cade Povich tonight.
    • I think my biggest knock on those deals is they would result in almost every CF we have in the org getting traded, except for Cowser and a potential Holliday move to CF. Or Mateo idk. Just leaves us pretty thin at a very important position. 
    • Agreed.  It also make the lineup construction easier going forward platooning Hayes and Kjerstad in LF with Kjerstad also getting some time in RF and DH allowing him to become an everyday player for the second half.  It also makes the callup of Mayo easier to replace Mullins on the roster.
    • Cowser's defense alone is enough to put him out there every night. His offense, for all of it's warts, is no worse than Mullins'.  If Mullins has any value, make some room.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now