2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

8 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

Adley's feelings are so hurt, he has stopped hitting. Guess that's wrong. File "drama" under more things to worry about. Next?

You've got it all wrong-- he's so mad, he's picturing Burnes' face on the ball every time he swings! Career best barrel rate! 

I picked up on the McCann/Burnes thing a couple weeks ago. They both are California boys with similar age and personalities. I don’t think it’s hurting the team with the current schedule. McCann needs to catch 2 out of every 5 starts. I do not think it may bode well for playoffs or extension.

3 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I picked up on the McCann/Burnes thing a couple weeks ago. They both are California boys with similar age and personalities. I don’t think it’s hurting the team with the current schedule. McCann needs to catch 2 out of every 5 starts. I do not think it may bode well for playoffs or extension.

You want McCann catching 65 games? 

5 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I found this post interesting and a bit more realistic than the conspiracy theories floating around.

image.png.cbec6917efd1011e84c4839aaeec1ee8.png

• Upvote 3

5 straight Burnes starts with McCann catching isn’t a coincidence. It was odd for Rutschman to catch the first 3 games too, since some were day games. Doesn’t mean there’s drama but it’s not an accident and it’s foolish to think otherwise. 

Hyde claims coincidence but I'm not really buying it. If you're comfortable having Adley catch Burnes then why didn't McCann catch Sunday which was a day game? That would have made more sense.

“It’s actually more coincidence than anything,” said manager Brandon Hyde. “I’m comfortable catching Adley with Burnes, too. It’s not anything about that. It’s just more kind of how it’s fallen, honestly, with kind of how we’ve been matched up opponent-wise and day games, etc. But Mac’s done a great job with Burnsie, also.”

McCann wasn’t ready to do a deep dive earlier today, saying, “I’m probably not the right one to ask.”

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dystopia said:

5 straight Burnes starts with McCann catching isn’t a coincidence. It was odd for Rutschman to catch the first 3 games too, since some were day games. Doesn’t mean there’s drama but it’s not an accident and it’s foolish to think otherwise. 

Agree but dont think its a big deal, Adley cant catch every game. Who will catch him first or any post season game?

Hyde claims coincidence but I'm not really buying it. If you're comfortable having Adley catch Burnes then why didn't McCann catch Sunday which was a day game? That would have made more sense.

Yeah, it was a blatant lie. 

14 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You want McCann catching 65 games? 

He’s on pace for 69.   The O’s are playing .654 ball when he catches, .667 when it’s Adley.  So, why not?  Adley kicks ass when he DH’s and it keeps his legs fresh.  

Last year, the O’s were at .574,when McCann caiught.  So long as there’s not a huge drop in team performance, I’m all for keeping Adley rested.  It’s not like 2022, when the team was just way, way better when Adley was behind the dish compared to Chirinos.   

Edited by Frobby

24 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Agree but dont think its a big deal, Adley cant catch every game. Who will catch him first or any post season game?

I didn’t say it was a big deal. This could just be because McCann controls the running game better and Burnes isn’t the best at holding runners. 

“It’s actually more coincidence than anything,” said manager Brandon Hyde. “I’m comfortable catching Adley with Burnes, too. It’s not anything about that. It’s just more kind of how it’s fallen, honestly, with kind of how we’ve been matched up opponent-wise and day games, etc. But Mac’s done a great job with Burnsie, also.”

McCann wasn’t ready to do a deep dive earlier today, saying, “I’m probably not the right one to ask.”

Because he got asked about it, he will ensure that Adley catches his next game. 

Are there other positions Adley could learn and develop on  ?   Catcher is the physically and mentally draining position . From ST to September, it’s a long slog.  Orioles lineup needs Adley’s bat no doubt but if they can find a place for him other than catcher, they don’t have to worry about him 

The relevance of this may be nil as I never pitched pro but... I always had a "favorite" catcher.  It could be as simple as I threw a great game with x behind the plate and didn't want to mess with it.  Didn't mean they were better - wasn't anyone's fault and probably didn't have merit... 

-or- what Hyde said.

-or- someone mentioned run support - i.e., has nothing to do with the catcher

-or- as someone said, Burnes does not like hugs

There is strategy in the line-up every day. Is this really that different?