Corbin Burnes 2024

Spy Fox

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just no.

Why?

Do you want Soto injured?

If that isn't it why?

Soto is already getting it on social media for pimping during a loss.

You think he's going to learn his lesson and stop acting out?

There is no room in the game for intentionally trying to hurt other players.

Stupid crap like that is all risk and no reward.

Soto on the IL is good for the Orioles. But I do not support plunking him. 

I don't mind the showboating.  In fact I kind of like it when its not against us and its not the Yankees.  I actually chuckled at Soto showboating after his 'we're still down by 2 in the later innings' shot last night.  I think, to at least a small degree, it needs to continue to get/keep people interested in the game (not me, and I'm sure not most here, but some).  The game needs more personalities, and it has some  with guys like De La Cruz, Tatis, Soto and many others - let those guys cook and let them show you who they are (in a good/fun way). I liked how cocky Skenes seemed on the mound during that prospects ST game in March.  If you can back it up, bat flip and trot after a home run all you want, as far as I'm concerned.

Its no different than the NFL allowing those group celebrations in the end zone - it adds to the fun, and if you score a TD, you deserve the chance.  Hitting a HR is hard - if you do it, celebrate a little bit, by all means. 

It's supposed to be fun after all.

And if you don't like it, hitting the guy is definitely not the answer anyway.  All that does is put a target on Adley and/or Gunnar, and that's not what anyone wants, least of all Corbin Burnes or any other O's pitcher.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

You wanna do something about Juan Soto pimping HR?

Nothing's better than beating them. Just keep beating that ass.

Exactly. And if we were to do some pimping the Yankees couldn't complain. I prefer a good bat toss versus the macho stare-down crap but wouldn't object to either one. Just make sure it's actually going over the fence... 

Bat flips, celebrating, that’s fine even if overblown.  I don’t take exception to that as a former player.  I do take exception to Soto showing up a pitcher by hitting a home run or trying to intimidate someone.  I guess I grew up playing ball in a different time and came from a different neighborhood where you better be ready to back up your actions.  People talk about the negative to Burnes plunking him, but there is a benefit to sending a message.  

Just now, Punchandjudy said:

Bat flips, celebrating, that’s fine even if overblown.  I don’t take exception to that as a former player.  I do take exception to Soto showing up a pitcher by hitting a home run or trying to intimidate someone.  I guess I grew up playing ball in a different time and came from a different neighborhood where you better be ready to back up your actions.  People talk about the negative to Burnes plunking him, but there is a benefit to sending a message.  

What benefit?

1 minute ago, Punchandjudy said:

Don’t need Burnes getting thrown out. I’d be more open to the idea if Hyde brought in Ramirez or Baumann late in the game just for the purpose of plunking him. 

Still, if it’s a close game, don’t do it. 

3 minutes ago, Punchandjudy said:

Someone just did something good against me in a game and then bragged about it, the only reasonable response is to commit violence against them and risk serious injury. That'll teach him! Also, I am a grown adult.

On 4/30/2024 at 11:43 AM, Sports Guy said:

Zero interest in 8 years but if the AAV is real low(compared to what I think it needs to be), there is merit to it.

Right.  Eight years is only too much if it's a lot more than you'd willingly pay for five years.   You go into it with the expectation that he probably won't be too productive in those final three years, but that the extra money isn't that great compared to what you'd pay for the productive years.   

That said, I suspect the market for Burnes will be much stronger than 8/$210 mm if he has an excellent year along the lines of what he's currently producing.   Gerritt Cole, who was two years younger when he hit FA, got 9/$324 mm, with annual salaries of $36 mm.   Shave two years off due to Burnes' age, that gets you to 7/$252 mm.   I don't see Burnes getting $42 mm less than that while being committed for one more year.   And I'd be very wary about paying something in the 7/$252 ballpark.

Speaking from experience, it definitely brings a team together.  There are hundreds of interviews with former players who also testifies to this fact.  

You are also making a leap that plunking Soto will automatically lead to a fight.  There’s a good chance that the locker room was on fire about Soto last night.  A move like Burnes drilling Soto sends a message if only internally that bs won’t fly and teammates have each other’s backs.  

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, andymax said:

Someone just did something good against me in a game and then bragged about it, the only reasonable response is to commit violence against them and risk serious injury. That'll teach him! Also, I am a grown adult.

Bragged about it by staring down Kremer? He didn’t pound his chest, flip his bat, etc.  

Just now, Punchandjudy said:

Bragged about it by staring down Kremer? He didn’t pound his chest, flip his bat, etc.  

So staring at somebody is grounds for violence? Grow up, dude. All they need to do is keep beating them, if they want to cry about field dimensions or pimp home runs in a loss, let them. They can be the babies, we can be the grown ups.

Just now, andymax said:

So staring at somebody is grounds for violence? Grow up, dude. All they need to do is keep beating them, if they want to cry about field dimensions or pimp home runs in a loss, let them. They can be the babies, we can be the grown ups.

If I got bent out of shape at work every time I've been meanmugged I'd be homeless.