Corbin Burnes 2024

Spy Fox

18 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Yeah, I can't imagine any scenario in which what he ends up signing for is what I'd be willing to pay him.

Enjoy the season from him and move on.

Sounds like you are in the camp for letting Burnes walk at season’s end?

Any thoughts on a plan to replace him next year? Another trade? Different FA signing? Something else?

8 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

This is where my outlook rests too.   

This year's Strong SP acquisition occurring ~2/1 kind of sets a yardstick.   Its bookend is ~8/1, and those two dates figure to recur as moments around when Elias/Sigbot are probable to acquire via trade important pitchers for short terms.

Player development and qualifying offers help keep the supply of Joey Ortizes high.     In five years if things work our really well, there's probably an entire other team or team and a half of ex-Orioles bats active around the league.

That said Szymborski's point he's the strongest pitcher money can buy for the rest of the Adley-Gunnar years seems on target, and I do credit Elias-Sig with a sharp eye where the top of the talent pyramid is.

I don’t think a solid plan exists with seeing Gunnar and Adley as short term assets.

They are your franchise/cornerstone players. Irreplaceable/superstar talents that every franchise would love to have. I don’t care how good the development system is and how much you believe in it, the chances of finding/developing equivalent talent is very low.

But I get what you are saying in regards to the acquisition and retention of upper end pitching talent. With the injury probabilities being so high, it makes sense to view them through a shorter term lens. 

31 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Sounds like you are in the camp for letting Burnes walk at season’s end?

Any thoughts on a plan to replace him next year? Another trade? Different FA signing? Something else?

Yes, I would let him walk unless he for some reason gave the club a significant discount which I think there is zero chance of.

I'm not a huge fan of armchair GM-ing.  Especially with the ownership change, not knowing how that will affect payroll, extensions, etc.  It's Elias' job to figure out how to fill the spots and so far he's done pretty well at it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Szymborski's newest projections suggest 8/210 would be fair.     Same article slots Elly de la Cruz 9/192 somewhere near the Witt-Gunnar tier of player.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lets-sign-some-contracts-2024-edition/

8/210 isn’t getting him.

Thats just offer 26M a year.

I said I would go 5/200. Go big on the AAV and lower on the years, in hopes to get 2-3 very good to elite years.

If Im doing 5/200, it would be hard to not do 8/210.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

8/210 isn’t getting him.

Thats just offer 26M a year.

I said I would go 5/200. Go big on the AAV and lower on the years, in hopes to get 2-3 very good to elite years.

If Im doing 5/200, it would be hard to not do 8/210.

I agree. I would do that in a heartbeat.

8 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I just couldn't do 8 years. Having visions of Chris Davis. Paying him to sit on his couch.

Zero interest in 8 years but if the AAV is real low(compared to what I think it needs to be), there is merit to it.

2 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

I just couldn't do 8 years. Having visions of Chris Davis. Paying him to sit on his couch.

Top baseball contracts have become Global Thermonuclear Finance, so for the Clubs it is just a question of do you want players of this caliber at FA prices at all.

The Yankees put contract structures like that even on Aaron Hicks and DJ LeMahieu level players.

So far Elias is following the maxim that The only way to win is not to play.

23 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Top baseball contracts have become Global Thermonuclear Finance, so for the Clubs it is just a question of do you want players of this caliber at FA prices at all.

The Yankees put contract structures like that even on Aaron Hicks and DJ LeMahieu level players.

So far Elias is following the maxim that The only way to win is not to play.

Elias has had that luxury up until this point. But in a few short years, he will not longer have such a luxury.

If he decides "not to play" in the Adley and Gunnar pool, it will be to the peril of the business success of the franchise. People (beyond the diehard fans) come to see stars. I shutter to think about allowing both of them to walk in back to back years. OR even worse trading one or both away. Have you seen how many #2 and #35 shirts there are in the stands? These guys are going to be multiple all-star/silver slugger/gold glove winner type guys, who hopefully are a big part of a World Series winner or 2. 

Those are not the kind of guys that you say "pass" to "I'm not playing" when the time comes.

6 minutes ago, Punchandjudy said:

I realize in a close game he may be reluctant, but I sure hope Burnes puts one in Soto’s back tonight.  

Just no.

Why?

Do you want Soto injured?

If that isn't it why?

Soto is already getting it on social media for pimping during a loss.

You think he's going to learn his lesson and stop acting out?

There is no room in the game for intentionally trying to hurt other players.

Stupid crap like that is all risk and no reward.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just no.

Why?

If that isn't it why?

100% correct.    I agree that Soto does a little too much showboating, but that's MLB today.   The only thing drilling Soto would do is infuriate the Yankees.   

Beat them on the field and none of that matters.

15 minutes ago, Punchandjudy said:

I realize in a close game he may be reluctant, but I sure hope Burnes puts one in Soto’s back tonight.  

You wanna do something about Juan Soto pimping HR?

Nothing's better than beating them. Just keep beating that ass.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just no.

Why?

If that isn't it why?

Yup.  Soto is a clown.  I just hope Burnes doesn't go into business for himself given that he's a vet and all.  The best thing Burnes can do is to show them up by going a CG and celebrating with an Anthony Edwards DX symbol to their bench post game.