Corbin Burnes 2024

Spy Fox

Heaven help us if he is ALCS MVP or WS MVP or both.

His upcoming contract is probably going to 2030 and in 2030 I don't know if the Orioles will have 3 or 6 or 11 players with stronger 2030 projections but I do know SIGBOT exists on a certain fundamental level to take the emotion out of these kinds of things.

Some of the fun watching the team right now is the wonder whether the Orioles lineup could hit Corbin Burnes next fall, or three falls from now.    I think probably they can.

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

Burnes said when he was traded that his priority was going to free agency (i.e. He wasn’t interest in doing a contract extension that close to being a free agent.) You have to think for a pitcher of his caliber it is a dream scenario to be healthy, be coming off of a great season, and then hit the open market.

Also, Angelos was still in control of the team during last offseason, so there was absolutely no way that an extension was even on the table from the org. John Angelos scoffed at the idea of the org doing bigger contract extension the offseason prior when Adley was brought to him by the press.

Having said all that, I agree that if we can get him to sign a 6-7 year deal I would go all out to bid on him. Because it is very unlikely that we will ever find a pitcher as good during the Adley/Gunnar years. AND we are not currently paying ANYONE. 

Unlike many fans/posters on this board, I am very uninterested in the org saving money/going cheap, counting the players money while trying to save the owner/billionaire’s money.

Yep 👍🏻, let’s try negotiate with Burnes when he’s ready to talk .  Starters like Burnes are rare 

• Upvote 1

Speaking of ASG , I’m not thrilled with idea of our pitchers risking injury pitching in that game . Yes I understand the tradition and it’s great honor but the players contracts are exorbitant and it would be bad if a team lost a player getting injured in that game. 
Any thoughts ?

8 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

Speaking of ASG , I’m not thrilled with idea of our pitchers risking injury pitching in that game . Yes I understand the tradition and it’s great honor but the players contracts are exorbitant and it would be bad if a team lost a player getting injured in that game. 
Any thoughts ?

I mean I get it but you might as well just cancel the whole event since every team will have the same worries. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

Any thoughts ?

I can't think of any player getting hurt in an ASG and missing extended amounts of time.

IMO, if someone throws an inning in an ASG and they tear their UCL...it was bound to happen and it would have happened in the next regular season game they pitched in.  There are only so many bullets in an arm.  

Like, Dwight Gooden didn't have arm issues in the late 80s/early 90s because he started the '86 All-Star Game and threw three innings, or because he threw two innings in the '84 game.  His arm gave out cause he had a ton of pitches on his arm at a very young age.  There are estimates that he threw close to 11,000 pitches from 1983 to 1985.  In 1985, he threw 276 innings.  

5 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I mean I get it but you might as well just cancel the whole event since every team will have the same worries. 

That’s exactly my point . The Orioles are one of 30 teams. I just think the risks outweigh any rewards . Perhaps MLB can award the players as All Star‘awards’  only. So players who gets most fan votes can put that on their resumes for offseason deals . 

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I can't think of any player getting hurt in an ASG and missing extended amounts of time.

IMO, if someone throws an inning in an ASG and they tear their UCL...it was bound to happen and it would have happened in the next regular season game they pitched in.  There are only so many bullets in an arm.  

Like, Dwight Gooden didn't have arm issues in the late 80s/early 90s because he started the '86 All-Star Game and threw three innings, or because he threw two innings in the '84 game.  His arm gave out cause he had a ton of pitches on his arm at a very young age.  There are estimates that he threw close to 11,000 pitches from 1983 to 1985.  In 1985, he threw 276 innings.  

Yeah , that is one way of looking at it.  If the teams , players and the fans are good 👍🏻 with it. Then I won’t push this issue again . Peace ✌️ 

3 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

Love Burnes on this team, but I think it would be an unwise investment for a limited budget team.   The priorities should be extending Henderson and/or Adley.   

If we extend Gunnar and Adley with where the payroll is now, we would still probably be around average payroll level or at little below. That’s how low the payroll is and has been. 

We have a long way to go to just have an average MLB payroll.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

If we extend Gunnar and Adley with where the payroll is now, we would still probably be around average payroll level or at little below. That’s how low the payroll is and has been. 

We have a long way to go to just have an average MLB payroll.

This ^^^^💯

58 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Felix Bautista throwing 28 high effort pitches in .2 innings last year still haunts me.  

You can't throw that many pitches in one inning.  Text book injury avoidance strategy. 

In 56 appearances last year he threw 28+ pitches in one inning only 2 other times.   He threw 25+ pitches in one inning 5 times.  He threw 20+ pitches in one inning only 11 times.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Felix Bautista throwing 28 high effort pitches in .2 innings last year still haunts me.  

You can't throw that many pitches in one inning.  Text book injury avoidance strategy. 

Pitchers do it all the time. 

4 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Pitchers do it all the time. 

In 56 appearances last year he threw 28+ pitches in one inning only 2 other times.   He threw 25+ pitches in one inning 5 times.  He threw 20+ pitches in one inning only 11 times.  In less than 20%* of his games he threw less than 20 pitches per inning.  In 3.5%* of his games last year he threw 28 pitches per inning.  No, pitchers do not do that all the time.  

*Not including the All-Star game

Edited by emmett16