Gunnar Henderson 2024

12 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'm not disputing his value as a hitter. I'm disputing his all-around game and how it will affect his standings in WAR at the end of his career. His baserunning and defense will probably keep him from the conversation as one of the greatest players of all time. Imagine where Jeter would fall if he could play defense.

Ted Williams.

17 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'm not disputing his value as a hitter. I'm disputing his all-around game and how it will affect his standings in WAR at the end of his career. His baserunning and defense will probably keep him from the conversation as one of the greatest players of all time. Imagine where Jeter would fall if he could play defense.

Unless he levels up with the bat I don't think he was ever in that conversation to begin with.  Trout's peak season is 20 runs better with the bat than Soto's peak so far.  Even if we generously assume that Soto is going to maintain his current batting production for the rest of 2024, this season will be his new peak, and he'll still be 10 runs behind Trout.  And Trout could (and still can!) play defense.

12 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Unless he levels up with the bat I don't think he was ever in that conversation to begin with.  Trout's peak season is 20 runs better with the bat than Soto's peak so far.  Even if we generously assume that Soto is going to maintain his current batting production for the rest of 2024, this season will be his new peak, and he'll still be 10 runs behind Trout.  And Trout could (and still can!) play defense.

He should have one of his best-hitting seasons playing 81 games in Yankee Stadium, at least power-wise. 

56 minutes ago, Malike said:

How did we get on the topic of Soto’s HOF standing at the end of his career in a thread about Gunnar Henderson?   Soto’s name only came up because MLB Network was debating a list of the top five players in baseball right now, and Gunnar and Soto were both candidates for that list.  

As to right now, rWAR has Gunnar ahead 3.5 to 2.8, while fWAR has them in a dead heat at 3.1.  Soto’s the better all-around bat, for now; Gunnar is by far the better base runner and more valuable defensive player.   I’d rather have Gunnar for 2024 but I can see arguments either way.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

How did we get on the topic of Soto’s HOF standing at the end of his career in a thread about Gunnar Henderson?   Soto’s name only came up because MLB Network was debating a list of the top five players in baseball right now, and Gunnar and Soto were both candidates for that list.  

As to right now, rWAR has Gunnar ahead 3.5 to 2.8, while fWAR has them in a dead heat at 3.1.  Soto’s the better all-around bat, for now; Gunnar is by far the better base runner and more valuable defensive player.   I’d rather have Gunnar for 2024 but I can see arguments either way.   

You aren't new here. Someone cried outrage that Soto wasn't on the list and things take their course from there. I would prefer Gunnar to Soto based on the reasons you stated above.

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Malike said:

You aren't new here. Someone cried outrage that Soto wasn't on the list and things take their course from there. I would prefer Gunnar to Soto based on the reasons you stated above.

I’m going to start a Soto debate thread over on the MLB forum.  I have thoughts on that but don’t want to steer this further away from Gunnar.  

Edit: Soto Thread

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

Something seems off with GH the past week or so.  Everyone has a slump but he seems to be playing without the energy and spark like he usually has.

Not sure if it is a personal issue, he is sick/injured, or something else but hope he comes out of this funk soon. 

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

It's not just tv hits like the one on MLB Network comparing the two.  I was a lot less happy to see a comparison between Soto and GH when it is Scott Boras doing it:

“I don’t think centurions, for any team, are what you would consider a cost (to) a team, because it’s a franchise appreciation addition,’’ Boras said Tuesday near his box seat at Angel Stadium, before a 4-3 Angels win.

“So, whatever your franchise is worth, a centurion on your team would thereby make the team worth billions more.’’

"The opportunity for investment like this comes along in an owner's career very rarely,'' said Boras, adding the only current player who might be anywhere near that status is his Baltimore Orioles client Gunnar Henderson, 22.

11 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Something seems off with GH the past week or so.  Everyone has a slump but he seems to be playing without the energy and spark like he usually has.

Not sure if it is a personal issue, he is sick/injured, or something else but hope he comes out of this funk soon. 

Mods, please add 'Expert Visual Psychologist' to this poster's impressive resume.

• Haha 1

Does Maris have the most non juiced  homers in a season in MLB history?  Please check me on that .

Maris hit his 18th homer on June 9th his 52nd game.   He hit two on June 11th is 56th game.

Guinnar  has 18  at the 54th game.  So he is in the ball park.