Kyle Stowers 2024

Jagwar

54 minutes ago, vab said:

Once Stowers is healthy, I think it's about time for Cowser and him to at least be splitting playing time evenly if not a lean more toward Stowers. Cowser has had about three good weeks with very little before or since that time. That is not enough for him to be higher on the depth chart than Stowers at this point. 

Kjerstad is in the picture too.

37 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Get this kid some playing time!!! Or trade him 🤣

The O's have three outfielders that have a good chance of not being with the team in 2025. Why would they trade Stowers?  If he is that good he could be a regular of the O's from ages 27-32

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, vab said:

Once Stowers is healthy, I think it's about time for Cowser and him to at least be splitting playing time evenly if not a lean more toward Stowers. Cowser has had about three good weeks with very little before or since that time. That is not enough for him to be higher on the depth chart than Stowers at this point. 

A lean towards Kyle Stowers, a 26-year-old mediocre fielding corner OF who was just a bit above league average as a hitter in AAA and has a career 78 OPS+ in MLB.

Over Colton Cowser, who is the younger (by two years) and much more highly pedigreed player. Who is by far the better fielder, can play CF, was the better hitter in the minors, and has been the better hitter in the majors. Really?

There is a colorable argument that Stowers may be better against lefties than Cowser. So perhaps there would be something of a lean there against tough southpaws, if you could find a way to do it (barring a Mullins renaissance, I’m guessing it would mean Hays or Mateo in CF?). If you were willing to contort the lineup and sacrifice defense to upgrade from “bad against lefties” to “potentially just below average against lefties.”

But otherwise, I just don’t get it. This combination of “backup QB” syndrome and gaudy stats from the Norfolk launching seems to make people take some very odd positions. Like the folks who wanted to dump O’Hearn and Santander over the offseason to free up spots for Kjerstad/Stowers. Good thing the FO had enough sense to stay the course there. Contrary to the teachings of Barney Stinson, new is not always better. 

IMO Stowers is great part-time player who gets exposed if a regular.  He’s always going to tantalize that could be something more.  In part time role, he will do things like today where 3 run HR but also strikes out uncompetitively in two other at bats.  Putting aside platoon splits, I think best case Stowers is a Lowenstein 82/83 player type where gets 300-400 PAs and can deliver 15-20 HRs in limited role. 

10 hours ago, Say O! said:

IMO Stowers is great part-time player who gets exposed if a regular.  He’s always going to tantalize that could be something more.  In part time role, he will do things like today where 3 run HR but also strikes out uncompetitively in two other at bats.  Putting aside platoon splits, I think best case Stowers is a Lowenstein 82/83 player type where gets 300-400 PAs and can deliver 15-20 HRs in limited role. 

The next Joc Pederson. 

10 hours ago, Say O! said:

Why is he only a part time player?  He may be but this is a guy that hits righties and lefties well , has some excellent batted ball stats, runs well, good enough defense, big power.

He isn’t likely to hit for a high average but no one really does anymore.

31 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why is he only a part time player?  He may be but this is a guy that hits righties and lefties well , has some excellent batted ball stats, runs well, good enough defense, big power.

I don’t know quite what we have in Stowers.   He has some bad-looking at bats but he can definitely put a charge into one when he connects.  One thing I’ll say, it looks to me like he’s worked hard on his defense.  He’s not a plus OF but he looks more confident out there.  

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don't think we can know either way until he gets some extended run. He has a ceiling as an everyday starter. Whether he hits that ceiling is hard to know. I like the Joc Pederson comp. He has sometimes been a 500 AB guy but usually more like 400 AB guy.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know quite what we have in Stowers.   He has some bad-looking at bats but he can definitely put a charge into one when he connects.  One thing I’ll say, it looks to me like he’s worked hard on his defense.  He’s not a plus OF but he looks more confident out there.  

Yea I’m not sure either.  The idea that he’s a part timer could be true.

I think he’s in the right era though.  20+ years ago I think he struggles to get playing time because people look at what he can’t do vs what he can.

I feel pretty good saying he can be a contributing piece on a contending team. How much he can contribute is up in the air.

11 hours ago, Say O! said:

Stowers and Cowser are opposites as hitters as far as I can tell.  Stowers is pretty good on breaking stuff and changeups.  Yesterday on the 96 mph fastballs he was so late he had no chance.  Cowser, on the other hand, can handle fastballs, cutters, and sliders but really struggles on curves and changes.  If we could only meld them into one hitter.

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I’m not sure either.  The idea that he’s a part timer could be true.

I think he’s in the right era though.  20+ years ago I think he struggles to get playing time because people look at what he can’t do vs what he can.

I feel pretty good saying he can be a contributing piece on a contending team. How much he can contribute is up in the air.

Our whole outfield situation is very unsettled.  It would be hard to guess today who will be starting playoff games in the OF, other than Santander.   I’m hoping Cowser eventually takes off again, but he’s been pretty tough to watch at times over the last 6 weeks. Stowers could grab a spot.  Hays has been hot of late and we’ll see if that continues.   Mullins has sucked for 6-7 weeks but I haven’t given up on the guy.   Kjerstad continues to rake in the minors and you have to think he’ll get another opportunity at some point.  It’s just really hard to know how the rest of this season will go for our outfielders and who will be hot when playoff time comes. 

• Upvote 1