Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

It was nice to see him get his first knock and show a very good approach in his last at bat with the walk. Really good stuff there! Hopefully, he can settle in a bit at the plate and begin to let his talent takeover. Even if that doesn't happen this year, he is going to be a fine offensive player beginning next season at the latest. 

However, his defense is another story. Even routine plays are an arduous thing for him. It's kind of confusing to me how the O's could have watched him make consistent errant throws over the last 4 years and thought to themselves, "this will be ok and iron itself out at the big league level"? Why he hasn't been moved off of 3B by now is beyond me.

Maybe Holliday can become an averagish defensive 2B because of his athleticism who is bat first? Maybe? But I don't have any confidence that Mayo can even be a slightly below average defensive 3B. 

I know he is Roy's adopted son and has long been clamored for by many (probably even me at times this season) so I want to choose the words of my observation carefully. But his defense is pretty bad right now. You can even hear it in the announcers gasp when the ball is hit to me.

Hopefully he can make major improvements if he is to stay at 3B for the rest of the year (given Westburg's injury).

16 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

It was nice to see him get his first knock and show a very good approach in his last at bat with the walk. Really good stuff there! Hopefully, he can settle in a bit at the plate and begin to let his talent takeover. Even if that doesn't happen this year, he is going to be a fine offensive player beginning next season at the latest. 

However, his defense is another story. Even routine plays are an arduous thing for him. It's kind of confusing to me how the O's could have watched him make consistent errant throws over the last 4 years and thought to themselves, "this will be ok and iron itself out at the big league level"? Why he hasn't been moved off of 3B by now is beyond me.

Maybe Holliday can become an averagish defensive 2B because of his athleticism who is bat first? Maybe? But I don't have any confidence that Mayo can even be a slightly below average defensive 3B. 

I know he is Roy's adopted son and has long been clamored for by many (probably even me at times this season) so I want to choose the words of my observation carefully. But his defense is pretty bad right now. You can even hear it in the announcers gasp when the ball is hit to me.

Hopefully he can make major improvements if he is to stay at 3B for the rest of the year (given Westburg's injury).

He made a nice play on a grounder last night...cut off Henderson and made a throw on the run to get the runner by a half step or so.

The physical tools are certainly there.  The arm strength is there.

I'm not ready to write off a 22 year old ballplayer on much of anything right now.   I'm not unaware that there's work that needs to be done, but there's still room to grow in all aspects of his game...including defense.  The book on him hasn't been written.

I also don't believe anyone suggested that this would iron itself out at the big league level.  If Westy and Mateo don't go down, I don't think Mayo is here right now.  

• Upvote 1

Blackjack basic strategy, you're supposed to hit on 16 if the dealer is showing 7 even if it feels kind of wrong.

I think the same general principle in the time of Westburg's injury applies to fully auditioning Mayo.    Ramon Urias (or JD Davis, or Jean Segura) batting 9th in the playoffs is a known quantity if Westburg can't go, and Mayo proves unplayable.

I'm curious to see how the 45 active roster days thing gets played out.    I'll be encouraged if they let him get the full 60 absent Westburg healing faster than it is probably realistic to hope for.

• 2 weeks later...

My son wanted to wait outside Harbor Park to get his autograph last Friday. He’s easy to root for……very nice and posed for a picture with my son. And after a hard loss where didn’t have a good game. Maverick Handley was also really great with the fans. 

• Upvote 3

Look, I annoy just about everyone, maybe even me in my push for this kid. Rivera has played very well at 3b and Eloy hit well as a DH. And im glad Coby is going to start on Wednesday, but I have to say this, even at the risk of annoying you once again.

With two 9 run leads in two games why couldn't Hyde at least thrown the kid an at bat here or there when the game was out of reach. To sit for 2 games after hitting a sharp single in his last appearance, I think was  needless.

The kid needs plate appearances . He could DH too. Let him hit . It's the only way be'll get better. You dont have to agree, but thats how I feel.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

Look, I annoy just about everyone, maybe even me in my push for this kid. Rivera has played very well at 3b and Eloy hit well as a DH. And im glad Coby is going to start on Wednesday, but I have to say this, even at the risk of annoying you once again.

With two 9 run leads in two games why couldn't Hyde at least thrown the kid an at bat here or there when the game was out of reach. To sit for 2 games after hitting a sharp single in his last appearance, I think was  needless.

The kid needs plate appearances . He could DH too. Let him hit . It's the only way be'll get better. You dont have to agree, but thats how I feel.

He will get his chances.  When he is starting All Star games this period will all be forgotten.  Hopefully he will be our third rookie of the year in a row in 2025.

3 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

He’s a top 10 prospect in all of baseball. He really doesn’t need an advocate. 

I’m pretty sure we all want to see him do well. He’s going to get his chances. No need to worry about that.