Grayson Rodriguez 2024

Spy Fox

I think GrayRod has Ace potential; he's close. One criticism I have; does it seem like he has a lot of his 2 strike offerings fouled off? Seems like he has a little trouble putting away the hitter sometimes; perhaps he's focusing too much on the K at times than making the right pitch to induce weak contact?

12 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I think GrayRod has Ace potential; he's close. One criticism I have; does it seem like he has a lot of his 2 strike offerings fouled off? Seems like he has a little trouble putting away the hitter sometimes; perhaps he's focusing too much on the K at times than making the right pitch to induce weak contact?

If they’re fouling it off, he is getting weak contact.

He's so young still and developing however right now he's a good number 3 pitcher with potential to be a good number 2 pitcher ,as Dean Kremer is a 4 or 5 pitcher with his best days looking like a number 3 starter.

Staff has one ace peppered with ,3,4 and 5's.

Elias has his work cut out for him.

• Upvote 1

On a rolling 2-day basis, it is interesting to watch Luis Gil and Grayson Rodriguez at this point in their careers.

It is a rare talent blessing to have good reason to believe you can truck the world's best hitters more or less just with your fastball.

He's a Verlander/Gerrit body who has made it to age ~24.7 without a major arm injury yet.    I do think the rare genetic blessings are a little bit signal not noise those individuals made it well into their 30's before much gave out.     TBD if he can learn to pitch as well as they can.

12 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Tonight was strange game he was throwing first pitch strikes and getting lot of swing and misses but seemed like everything put in play was a hit and lot hit hard.  He seemed to let emotions get best of him tonight as well pitching back home.  

When he was first called up he had the same issue.  Lots of strikes but when they hit the ball, they hit it hard.  Lots of home runs. 

He has all the talent in the world but right now he is surviving on that.....talent.  Not pitching savvy.  I think he is going to be type of pitcher that is going to take a few years to really learn 'how to pitch'.  Not just throw.

But once he figures it out, assuming he stays healthy....he is going to be one helluva great pitcher.   Already is very good. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

In his last inning his mechanics looked so bad. Just hucking it and nothing looked in rhythm. This pitching staff is on absolute fumes right now. It's Burnes and everyone else for the moment.

if ANY of our starters go down to injury...especially Burnes or Grod...this is no longer a contending team. A pitching  staff can endure only so much...we desperately need another solid starter and 1-2 bullpen pieces..

I didn't get to look at statcast yet but it looked like the fastball was missing the arm side run. They were smashing his fastball, it looked straighter than I've seen in the past.

Edited by Malike

8 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

if ANY of our starters go down to injury...especially Burnes or Grod...this is no longer a contending team. A pitching  staff can endure only so much...we desperately need another solid starter and 1-2 bullpen pieces..

Could not agree more.

I don't think some people understand how precarious the position our precious precocious O's are in when it comes to pitching.

As Aerosmith sings.....livin' on the edge.   For a team that can win the WS this year and next.....these elbows have hurt the Os tremendously. 

We need pitching help and need it ASAP. 

15 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Always good to hear from the calm, rational fans.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Always good to hear from the calm, rational fans.

Think of all the pitchers that we have lost in the past year and a half though. 

I mean put all of those pitchers on a different team and you would say that is a helluva good start to a very good pitching staff.

It's been a complete demolition. 

4 hours ago, ScGO's said:

To me, this is where Grayson’s lack of command shows up (command vs control).  He is not yet precise with his locations — and that manifests when he either gets too much of the plate when ahead in the count or misses too far off the plate with 2 strikes.  There were several examples in the game last night where GRod gave up hits to Singleton, Dubon, Bregman when ahead in the count with two strikes.  He doesn’t (yet) paint the black with regularity on his fastball or breaking ball like a Corbin Burnes for instance.  To illustrate this point further, Corbin Burnes allows OPS against .250-.300 with 2 strikes whereas GRod is more ~.400 OPS against.  While that’s still pretty darn dominant, it’s a step below where guys like aforementioned Burnes or other power pitchers like Wheeler after whom GRod has said that he models his game.  From watching the games, it does seem that when GRod allows hard contact with 2 strikes, it is often because he has missed location wise rather than hitters putting a good swing on good pitch.  He’s only 23 years old so if/when GRod improves command-wise, that’s when he takes next step and becomes CY level. 

22 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Think of all the pitchers that we have lost in the past year and a half though. 

I mean put all of those pitchers on a different team and you would say that is a helluva good start to a very good pitching staff.

It's been a complete demolition. 

Sure, and if Burnes goes down, we’re in bad, bad shape no matter how you slice it.   The rotation is thin.  We could use a couple of relievers.   Just thinking of Burnes or GRod going down is thinking what else could go wrong.  It’s fatalistic, I tell ya.