John Means 2024

Tony-OH

2 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Should we offer him something to stay with the organization till after recovery and see how he is?

It's not a terrible idea.  Minor league deal for 2025 with a low-priced team option for 2026.  Could be a chance we get him down the stretch next year and have him fairly cheap the following year if the 2nd surgery goes better and he gets back to form.

Means is an awesome dude, really pulling for him.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Like access to their rehab facilities?

Sure.

I guess he will have the not an employee of the organization thing happen when the contract expires after the season.

Too far in the weeds for me to know, but I hope something in the CBA provides Means access to something more than home cooking his rehab come Thanksgiving.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

I guess he will have the not an employee of the organization thing happen when the contract expires after the season.

Too far in the weeds for me to know, but I hope something in the CBA provides Means access to something more than home cooking his rehab come Thanksgiving.

I was thinking the same thing.  He will do his rehab as a FA w/o a team - fairly unique. A cheap 2 year deal (league minimum)  would be a fantastic gesture and a solid low risk depth move.  

8 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I was thinking the same thing.  He will do his rehab as a FA w/o a team - fairly unique. A cheap 2 year deal (league minimum)  would be a fantastic gesture and a solid low risk depth move.  

Someone will sign him to a cheap deal and take a chance he can come back.  I would have no objection to it being the Orioles.  Of course if it happens someone here will just accuse the new management of making cheap acquisitions.  

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I think the players agents organise treatment for players without contracts.   Setting up places to workout.  Lots of unsigned players used their old High School facilities.

4 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Should we offer him something to stay with the organization till after recovery and see how he is?

I think the O's should consider matching and upping what other teams might be offering.  It might only be a minor league deal.  Even if the prognosis is really good I doubt the O's do anything like a qualifying offer, but bringing him back on a small deal makes sense.  

Bummer that it's a full TJ, which is a longer recovery than the brace. Hope it works out for him.

It sucks, he only got 44.1 major league innings out of his first surgery. Maybe the fact that they were very good innings helps make sure someone takes a chance on him. 

It'll be almost 5 years post no-hitter by the time he can take a big league mound again. 

Elias sounded like he’s interested in figuring out a way to retain Means:

“This is not career-ending. We're going to get him back in good shape. But this surgery takes time."

Means, 31, is a free agent after the season, further clouding his future in Baltimore and in baseball. He signed a two-year, $5.925 million contract in May 2022 and avoided arbitration in January by agreeing to a $3.325 million deal.

"I think the first step is taking care of this and we're going to support him and we have a long relationship and he's a special member of this organization, just given everything that he's done," Elias said. "Obviously, we talk a lot, so I'm sure we'll be dialoging with him as we get him back on his feet medically. He's going to make it back. He's a big, strong guy, and once he gets this elbow injury fully behind him - which hasn't really been the case, it seems like, going back into last year - I think he's got a lot of really good pitching ahead of him."

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/means-and-wells-undergoing-elbow-surgery

• Upvote 3