Austin Hays 2024

ShoelesJoe

On the replay you can see that Julio was lightly jogging after the ball-- either assuming the RF would get it, or assuming Hays wouldn't run. Good on Hays for taking advantage and turning it into a double. 

9 hours ago, Pickles said:

How quickly the turntables have turned.

I think everyone agrees when he’s healthy, he’s pretty good. 

But that doesn’t mean he should be starting over Cowser. Maybe against lefties but he’s never been lefty assassin.

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

But that doesn’t mean he should be starting over Cowser. Maybe against lefties but he’s never been lefty assassin.

Rest Mullins.

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

He can spell Mullins too. Really nice addition if he can get back to playing like Hayes again.Now, if only we can Mullins going.

7 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I  agree that when he swings at strikes, isn’t in perpetual pull mode, and isn’t trying to hit the ball 450 feet, he’s pretty good.   

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I  agree that when he swings at strikes, isn’t in perpetual pull mode, and isn’t trying to hit the ball 450 feet, he’s pretty good.  

I agree Hays is fine to spell Mullins while he figures out how to swing a bat again. I also agree that Hays is disproportionately affected by the wall.

If he wasn’t so perpetually dinged up, increasingly expensive and average, he would be an excellent trade candidate.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

You're probably right, but what if he's our Terry Crowley? I'd find that amusing, though I'm not sure modern rosters have room for that kind of player.

BTW, it’s a myth that Crowley was a great pinch hitter.  His overall OPS was .720 but as a pinch hitter he was .693.   He some individual seasons where he was good in that role, as you’d expect.