Austin Hays 2024

ShoelesJoe

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Stowers or Kjerstad? 

I'd be surprised, because Elias overvalues platoons and McKenna way too much. Elias is going to want a righty bat, although I would love to be wrong and see either Stowers or Kjerstad. I'd be happy with Norby, Kjerstad, or Stowers, in that order. ANYONE but McKenna.

Norby makes the most sense because Kjerstad should play every day when he comes up, but that won't happen in this situation. Norby will be fine in a platoon role, and be a solid option in games like tonight's against a LHP. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’re also all the way on the west coast. Banuelos was probably already with the team. With Mountcastle out with a sore knee we could see Kjerstad or Stowers. I think they keep Norby off of the 40 man until they have to. 

I was wondering if Mountcastle was banged up when I saw Urias at 1B in the lineup tonight, so the fact Mountcastle has a sore knee definitely changes the equation completely. Makes Kjerstad the #1 option depending on how much time Mountcastle misses.

Edited by Brooks The Great

33 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I'd be surprised, because Elias overvalues platoons and McKenna way too much. Elias is going to want a righty bat, although I would love to be wrong and see either Stowers or Kjerstad. I'd be happy with Norby, Kjerstad, or Stowers, in that order. ANYONE but McKenna.

Norby makes the most sense because Kjerstad should play every day when he comes up, but that won't happen in this situation. Norby will be fine in a platoon role, and be a solid option in games like tonight's against a LHP. 

How is Norby at 1B?  Has he seen any time there?

If Mountcastle has an injury or illness, why not just play O'Hearn? I understand the preference to platoon him but it's not like he's been totally putrid against lefties. Pretty sure he homered off a lefty to be the difference in the game in Toronto 1 year ago, if my memory serves me correctly.

5 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

If Mountcastle has an injury or illness, why not just play O'Hearn? I understand the preference to platoon him but it's not like he's been totally putrid against lefties. Pretty sure he homered off a lefty to be the difference in the game in Toronto 1 year ago, if my memory serves me correctly.

O'Hearn's value is them putting him in positions to succeed. Mainly, not letting him play every day against LHP.  

55 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I really doubt there will ever be a situation to have Norby playing "more regularly" than now. Once Mayo and Kjerstad are up, it would take multiple injuries before Norby would ever see regular at bats. Even now, it would be a platoon situation. Norby is the best candidate to fill Hays' roster spot. But Elias has an absurd infatuation with Ryan McKenna (the guy Elias loves even though no one baseball claimed him for the bare minimum off waivers), so there's a good chance McKenna will be back up. 

Urias and/or Mateo will not be here forever.  

Keeping McKenna at AAA was not a bad move. Anyone could have picked him up.  

Edited by eddie83

16 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

If Mountcastle is hurting, why not Mayo? 

Then we will have 2 struggling rookies with a 60 page thread on “what’s wrong with Mayo”. I can only handle one of those threads at a time…lol