Colton Cowser 2024

20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think there is a decent chance that Cowser and Hays start all three games vs the Brewers with Mullins, O'Hearn and Santander getting one game off each.

Anything is possible. But Mullins is just starting to swing it well. He had a very nice series in Boston. 

I’m not sure why we would be looking to play Hays in all 3 games when he is ice cold? That seems to be the definition of forcing things that aren’t there. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Uli2001 said:

Whoa, I do remember when people were dangling Cowser as trade bait on this board. I have receipts.

Almost nobody would have been upset if they had traded Cowser for Cease. I have receipts too, like 350 pages of them. It's been 24 ABs, but I suspect he's not going to hit .500 for the season and get 10 RBI in every series.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

Almost nobody would have been upset if they had traded Cowser for Cease. I have receipts too, like 350 pages of them. It's been 24 ABs, but I suspect he's not going to hit .500 for the season and get 10 RBI in every series.

I don't know about upset, but I was dead set against either Cowser or Kjerstad going in exchange for Cease.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Malike said:

It's true, and I will cop to it. I was all about Kjerstad and I was super down on Cowser. 

I do think we are in for some rough Cowser times ahead as pitchers adjust, and he will strike out more than we like. But... happy to say I was wrong so far. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Malike said:

It's not as if Cease has pitched poorly thus far.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's not as if Cease has pitched poorly thus far.

He's been good, he's still not getting deep into games, but he never really has, but yeah, he's been good.

26 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Trade Simulator says Kjerstad is about equal in value to the Ortiz/Hall package as well as Burnes. If we could get another clone of Burnes for Kjerstad I would be inclined to go for it. They have Kjerstad higher than Cowser for what it's worth. 

I wouldn't trade Kjerstad for a rental like Burnes. I'd be aiming for a top pitching prospect, or someone with less than two years of service time. If that kind of deal isn't out there, then he'd stay and Santander walks, in the alternate universe where they put me in charge.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

That’s definitely a possibility and I wouldn’t be really much opposed to it.

However, when we spend money on extensions, I would rather it be on our special/superstar players (Gunnar, Adley, Holliday, Burnes).

I am not making the case to keep Santander here, although I think there is merit to it if the FO believes that his production is likely to continue in combination with his clubhouse presence and leadership, but a Santander extension (or a similar signing) should have no impact on the ability to extend Henderson, Rutschman, or Holliday. If you assume a 3-4 year deal in the $15 million per year range, those years are cost controlled for Holliday and Henderson, so the salaries wouldn’t be astronomical in those years of the extension. Adley would be a bit higher, but he still has 3 years of arbitration, so his salaries would also be lower at the beginning of an extension. I don’t know if I’m being clear, but what I’m trying to say is the team should be able to accommodate a mid-level signing (Santander or otherwise if they think it makes sense) in addition to an extension or extensions of those players because those players will be paid lower salaries at the beginning of those deals, when the mid-level salary is on the book.

With respect to Burnes, I believe that it would have an impact, but I don’t see a scenario where Burnes stays in Baltimore unless he signs an extremely under-market deal, which I do not believe he will. Based off what Houston did, I do not believe that the front office believes a 7-10 year investment in pitching is a wise choice. I could also be very wrong about that, but it is my opinion until proven otherwise. 

• Upvote 1