Colton Cowser 2024

2 hours ago, Daddy-O's said:

Nothing is wrong, just an observation that he is not yet pulling the ball.

Double down the RF line (earlier in season) and sac fly to RF yesterday.    Going oppo in Fenway for a LHH works for me.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Double down the RF line (earlier in season) and sac fly to RF yesterday.    Going oppo in Fenway for a LHH works for me.

As long as the oppos are hit hard, which they were, I'm good. His swing looks really good right now. 

4 hours ago, Daddy-O's said:

Seems like his hits are all to left field.   Would like to see him start pulling the ball.

I notice this sort of thing as well. But it doesn't have much context if you're not also considering where he's being pitched. 

I took a minute to look at his highlights from yesterday afternoon. He pulled the sac fly with some authority on an inside pitch. The 2 run double was low and down the middle, maybe a hair inside. Looked like he was letting the ball travel to me, so a good approach. The double off the wall was high and inside, which I thought was curious since he hit it with such authority. Combined with the other double, I think he was looking to go LCF at Fenway, which is absolutely a good approach there for LH hitters. No sense in trying to go to CF, RCF, or RF at Fenway; that's where fly balls go to die. 

• Upvote 1

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a guy come to the plate with as many runners on base in a two game span as Cowser did the last two games.  

1.  Runner on 2B.  Run-scoring double.

2. Runners on 2nd and 3rd.  Two RBI double. 

3.  Runner on 2B.  Strikeout.

4.  Bases loaded.  Sac fly.

5.  Bases loaded.  Strikeout.

6.  Led off inning.  Walk.

7.  Bases loaded. Strikeout.  

8.  Runners on 2nd and 3rd.  Two RBI single.  

9.  Runners on 2nd and 3rd.  Strikeout.  

10.  Bases empty.  Ground out.  

10 PA, 17 runners on base, 14 runners in scoring position.  In the 8 PA with runners on base, he was 3 for 7 with two doubles, a single and a sac fly, good for 6 RBI all told.  

• Thanks 1

Did anyone notice that after Cowser caught the 3rd out in the bottom of the 8th against the monster, he tried to throw the ball up there but it came back down and everyone groaned? The look on his face was hilarious as he defeatedly walked back to get the ball and chuck it up there again.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a guy come to the plate with as many runners on base in a two game span as Cowser did the last two games.  

1.  Runner on 2B.  Run-scoring double.

2. Runners on 2nd and 3rd.  Two RBI double. 

3.  Runner on 2B.  Strikeout.

4.  Bases loaded.  Sac fly.

5.  Bases loaded.  Strikeout.

6.  Led off inning.  Walk.

7.  Bases loaded. Strikeout.  

8.  Runners on 2nd and 3rd.  Two RBI single.  

9.  Runners on 2nd and 3rd.  Strikeout.  

10.  Bases empty.  Ground out.  

10 PA, 17 runners on base, 14 runners in scoring position.  In the 8 PA with runners on base, he was 3 for 7 with two doubles, a single and a sac fly, good for 6 RBI all told.  

OBP still matters.  Especially to the guy up next.

He’s slowly getting better with seeing premium velo and breaking pitches. The power will come. Reminds me of when Gunnar broke last May/June. He’s just gotta get comfortable first and control the strike zone. 

Plus, these umps need to realize these boys are for real and give them more borderline calls. 

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Small dark cloud: right now Cowser has a .450 wOBA but .314 xwOBA.  So, he’s had some good fortune early on.  

Adley’s been the opposite: .309 wOBA, .431 xwOBA.   

He has gotten lucky but the xwOBA is also much lower because he only has the one walk, and that’s at least in part small sample noise. He still has a very good chase rate. 

With that low xwOBA is a .277 xBA, which is really high given his K’s, and a 53.8% hard hit rate. So he’s hitting the ball hard but it’s mostly been of the high-AVG, low-SLG variety, with only a .366 xSLG and one barrel.

A lot of that sounds like what Westburg has done in his MLB time. It only takes a couple barrels to really change that xSLG, so he just needs to get more of those hard hit balls in the air. 

The only thing I’m concerned with Cowser so far is he is still whiffing a ton.

• Upvote 1

12:36
Andrew: Can the O’s please be done with Austin Hays? It’s not even the slow start, he’s just a very streaky barely above league average bat and I’d rather see Cowser or Kjerstad in over him pretty much all the time
 Dan Szymborski: Personally, I agree. Mullins has a lot more rope

13 hours ago, Malike said:

Did anyone notice that after Cowser caught the 3rd out in the bottom of the 8th against the monster, he tried to throw the ball up there but it came back down and everyone groaned? The look on his face was hilarious as he defeatedly walked back to get the ball and chuck it up there again.

I saw when he caught that ball he stood there like a statue and stared at Cedric, maybe expecting a reaction. Cedric, ever the pro, ran off like, "Act like you been there before kid!" 

At least that's how I saw it in my head.

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:
Andrew: Can the O’s please be done with Austin Hays? It’s not even the slow start, he’s just a very streaky barely above league average bat and I’d rather see Cowser or Kjerstad in over him pretty much all the time
 Dan Szymborski: Personally, I agree. Mullins has a lot more rope

I don't think Hays is going to be totally Wally Pipp'd yet, but I do think as long as Cowser is hitting he's going to see the vast amount of starting outfield starts in LF against right-handed pitching.

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't think Hays is going to be totally Wally Pipp'd yet, but I do think as long as Cowser is hitting he's going to see the vast amount of starting outfield starts in LF against right-handed pitching.

Hyde might like his veterans more than we prefer at times, but he's also not dumb, and recognizes when someone is hot and gives him a better chance to win. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I saw when he caught that ball he stood there like a statue and stared at Cedric, maybe expecting a reaction. Cedric, ever the pro, ran off like, "Act like you been there before kid!" 

At least that's how I saw it in my head.

It was shown on the Sox telecast not the O's, probably why most didn't see it. It was funny stuff.