Vs. LHP

btdart20

Much of the angst has need around the relative lack of offense.  Especially over the lat 4 games.

3 out of 7 games has been again LHP SPs.  2 of the last 4 have been vs. Detmers and Ragans.  And they may be among the best LHP in the AL at the end of the season (between Framber, Rodon?, Heaney?, McClanahan?).  Our offense seems to struggle vs. LHP.  

Vs RHP - .752 OPS as a team

Vs LHP - .588 OPS as a team

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/split.cgi?t=b&team=BAL&year=2024

We're dealing with VERY small sample sizes.  But a case can be made for a stout lefty masher.  Because Gunnar's stats vs. LHP are terrible (25 total PAs on the season.  11 vs. LHP.  Not a normal ratio.)  So are Hays, Westburg and Urias.  Mullins has been a joke vs. LhP but has been benched a lot vs. them too.  Adley, Santander, and Mateo are strong.  Mounty has been a RHP masher and average vs. LHP.  

If we're looking for SSS sacrificial lambs, then yeah vs. LHP is the starting spot.  

But let's also recognize that we won't face this amount of LHP usually.   Nor this degree of talented LHP.  And those who have been bad, aren't this bad.

Still something to follow.

• Upvote 1

36-17 last year and 27-23 in 2022. Both records were better than against RHP for the respective years. I don’t know where the narrative came from that this team flails away against LHP all the time but it’s really strange. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dystopia said:

36-17 last year and 27-23 in 2022. Both records were better than against RHP for the respective years. I don’t know where the narrative came from that this team flails away against LHP all the time but it’s really strange. 

OPS was also better vs LHP last year. 

27 minutes ago, dystopia said:

The narrative is built around reality not matching expectations with a short-term focus.  In other words, it's human nature.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Ok.  I’m not.

But we're collectively calling for prospects and tossing talented (if fringey in Baltimore) players because of 4 games with less than expected offense.  2 of them vs. very good LHP.  (And some awesome AAA stats in a similarly SSS.)

There are likely more talented options in AAA today.  But let's not pretend the current guys are junk.  Yes, there are some individual players with bigger questions than others.  But let's look beyond 4 games where we went 2-2.

How many of the 26 are we going to DFA/waive before 5/1?  Or even over the next 2 weeks?  Maybe Kemp for Holliday.  But are we really going to do anything with Urias (for Mayo) or Hays (for what RHH?  Norby?  Mayo despite lacking OF reps?) or Santander or O'Hearn (Mayo/HK/Stowers?)?  

Are we trading any them before AS break?

Roman wasn't built in a day.  And it's not burning either.  

Not trying to say hard decisions don't need to be made eventually.   But after game 6 with a 4-2 record?

I should have titled the threat "perspective" instead.  But went with what I see as the SSS influencer - facing some quality LHP and happening to not do well.  Better days are ahead... even vs. LHP.  Even with the current team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btdart20 said:

But we're collectively calling for prospects and tossing talented (if fringey in Baltimore) players because of 4 games with less than expected offense.  2 of them vs. very good LHP.  (And some awesome AAA stats in a similarly SSS.)

There are likely more talented options in AAA today.  But let's not pretend the current guys are junk.  Yes, there are some individual players with bigger questions than others.  But let's look beyond 4 games where we went 2-2.

How many of the 26 are we going to DFA/waive before 5/1?  Or even over the next 2 weeks?  Maybe Kemp for Holliday.  But are we really going to do anything with Urias (for Mayo) or Hays (for what RHH?  Norby?  Mayo despite lacking OF reps?) or Santander or O'Hearn (Mayo/HK/Stowers?)?  

Are we trading any them before AS break?

Roman wasn't built in a day.  And it's not burning either.  

Not trying to say hard decisions don't need to be made eventually.   But after game 6 with a 4-2 record?

I should have titled the threat "perspective" instead.  But went with what I see as the SSS influencer - facing some quality LHP and happening to not do well.  Better days are ahead... even vs. LHP.  Even with the current team.

You’re preaching to the choir.  

• Like 1

I posted this in the discussion of Sandoval on opening day but I think it's good general intel. For whatever reason, the O's were excellent vs lefties on the road last year (.835 OPS, 2nd in MLB), but pretty bad against lefties at home (.694, 26th in MLB). The year before, they were 17th in MLB vs lefties on the road, but 29th at home. 

The wall is probably part of the "whatever reason." But it's not all about righties missing their pulled HRs, because the big offender last year was the O's putting up a paltry .502 OPS in their left-on-left PAs at Camden. 

Edited by Spy Fox
  • Upvote 1

@btdart20, lots of factors at play the last several days. Ragans and Detmers are quality LHP that any team would love to have. Sandoval ain't no slouch either. Also early in the season and not the best hitting weather in Baltimore. I think this is an epiphenomenon and not likely a trend. But worth watching, nonetheless.

• Upvote 1