Vs. LHP

btdart20

On 4/4/2024 at 8:49 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Hays and Adley should bat 1-2.  Love Gunnar, but bat him 5th or 6th vs lefties.  

Adley/Mounty/Santanader are our big 3 lefty mashers. Hays hits them for power, but has mediocre OBP skills. So he shouldn't be any higher than 5th. Despite Gunnar's majors struggles in his first full season. His OBP was only 20 points less then Hays and the arrow can only point up for him.  Pitchers don't go deep anymore. So don't push your best overall hitters so far down the LU.

Gunnar will draw a ton of walks vs all handed hitters and can only keep improving vs southpaws.

The LU they had against Ragans was about it should be. Westburg and Hays can swap depending on who's hotter.

Orioles' splits for 2024 so far:

Against LH -- .236 / .329. / 306  OPS of .635

Against RH -- .248 / .289 / .497  OPS of .786

We're 17/72 with 3 extra base hits against LH pitchers. SSS I know, and at this point one or two games against a dominant starter can skew the numbers. But the Pirates didn't have a dominant lefty on the mound today, and he still held us to one hit and one walk in six innings. Another LH starting against us tomorrow. 

For comparison -- Orioles' splits for 2023:

Against LH -- .260 / .334 / .430  OPS of .764

Against RH -- .253 / .316 / 418  OPS of .733

14 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Orioles' splits for 2024 so far:

Against LH -- .236 / .329. / 306  OPS of .635

Against RH -- .248 / .289 / .497  OPS of .786

We're 17/72 with 3 extra base hits against LH pitchers. SSS I know, and at this point one or two games against a dominant starter can skew the numbers. But the Pirates didn't have a dominant lefty on the mound today, and he still held us to one hit and one walk in six innings. Another LH starting against us tomorrow. 

For comparison -- Orioles' splits for 2023:

Against LH -- .260 / .334 / .430  OPS of .764

Against RH -- .253 / .316 / 418  OPS of .733

The numbers are actually much worse after yesterday’s game.  Basically, our guys who normally rake vs. LHP aren’t doing so yet.   But IMO it’s way too early to see it as some big trend.  

For some reason, we just couldn’t square up Falter yesterday.  It’s not like we weren’t making contact, we just weren’t getting the barrel on the ball for whatever reason.  I thought the decision to pull him after 6 very easy innings was absolutely insane.  

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The numbers are actually much worse after yesterday’s game.  Basically, our guys who normally rake vs. LHP aren’t doing so yet.   But IMO it’s way too early to see it as some big trend.  

For some reason, we just couldn’t square up Falter yesterday.  It’s not like we weren’t making contact, we just weren’t getting the barrel on the ball for whatever reason.  I thought the decision to pull him after 6 very easy innings was absolutely insane.  

Yeah I'm still not sure what Shelton was smoking with that one.

I typically watch the game delayed so I can FF through commercials, but Austin Hays ABs have become fast forward TV.

He is completely lost at the plate and he can't seem to find the ball vs LHP or RHP.  The Orioles need him to hit LHP with so many weak bats vs Southpaws.

Right now the Orioles are depending on just a handful of players vs LHP:

Hit LHP well: Mountcastle, Rutschman, Santander, Mateo (Rutschman and Mateo are the only ones with an OBP over .621 coming into Sunday)

The rest of the lineup:

Hays can't hit anyone

Hicks led the team in OPS vs LHP last season but he is gone. 

Gunnar has been terrible vs LHP for 2023-24 (did not look at '22)

As a team, the Orioles are hitting .188/.279/.250/.529 vs LHP through 112 PAs which is NOT nothing 

As the season moves on, the Orioles will add more LHB to this lineup when some of Holliday, Kjerstad, and Stowers are promoted.  This is a team that needs another bat that mashes LHP to protect all of the talented LHH.  If this were Strat-O-Matic, those guys are literally a dime a dozen. Working with the constraints the Oriole have, Norby might be the best option since I think we're past the point of being concerned about service time.

• 4 weeks later...

Bump…the O’s currently have an .824 OPS against LHP, 2nd best in MLB.  I guess all that handwringing in the first 7-10 days of the season was premature BS.  Gee, who would have guessed?

The O’s face tough lefties the next two days.  Maybe they’ll struggle in these games.  But hitting lefties isn’t and hasn’t been a problem for the O’s the last two years.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Bump…the O’s currently have an .824 OPS against LHP, 2nd best in MLB.  I guess all that handwringing in the first 7-10 days of the season was premature BS.  Gee, who would have guessed?

The O’s face tough lefties the next two days.  Maybe they’ll struggle in these games.  But hitting lefties isn’t and hasn’t been a problem for the O’s the last two years.

There will still be teeth-gnashing about how soft-tossing lefties kill this team in the game thread tonight if we are slow out of the gate in the next two days.

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

There will still be teeth-gnashing about how soft-tossing lefties kill this team in the game thread tonight if we are slow out of the gate in the next two days.

Personally I wouldn’t call either one a soft tosser.  Abbott averages 93, Lodolo 94.   Each has given us trouble in their one past start against us.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Personally I wouldn’t call either one a soft tosser.  Abbott averages 93, Lodolo 94.   Each has given us trouble in their one past start against us.  

That was exactly my point. If it's a LHP that throws 95, it's a soft-tossing lefty. All lefties are soft-tossing in the game thread.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Santander and Mullins haven't hit anyone and anything so much...

Santander has a .978 OPS against lefties this season.  He's hitting them very well, and I have no doubt he'll always be in the lineup when facing a lefty.  It's against righties where we'll see more of Kjerstad in RF, though I wouldn't be surprised if Santander goes on a hot streak fairly soon.

Mullins hasn't really hit lefties so far this year.  Against righties he's not terrible but not exactly great either.  

And since we're also throwing a lefty today, thought I wd post the stat that Cincinnati has done about the same vs. RHP and LHP (.659/.662 OPS).

• Upvote 1