Vs. LHP

btdart20

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

But we're collectively calling for prospects and tossing talented (if fringey in Baltimore) players because of 4 games with less than expected offense.  2 of them vs. very good LHP.  (And some awesome AAA stats in a similarly SSS.)

There are likely more talented options in AAA today.  But let's not pretend the current guys are junk.  Yes, there are some individual players with bigger questions than others.  But let's look beyond 4 games where we went 2-2.

How many of the 26 are we going to DFA/waive before 5/1?  Or even over the next 2 weeks?  Maybe Kemp for Holliday.  But are we really going to do anything with Urias (for Mayo) or Hays (for what RHH?  Norby?  Mayo despite lacking OF reps?) or Santander or O'Hearn (Mayo/HK/Stowers?)?  

Are we trading any them before AS break?

Roman wasn't built in a day.  And it's not burning either.  

Not trying to say hard decisions don't need to be made eventually.   But after game 6 with a 4-2 record?

I should have titled the threat "perspective" instead.  But went with what I see as the SSS influencer - facing some quality LHP and happening to not do well.  Better days are ahead... even vs. LHP.  Even with the current team.

Are people calling for that because of 6 games, or does it date back to last year? One of the people were talking about tossing aside is Kemp, who was signed two weeks ago. Also, people have been suggesting that Urias and/or Mateo be traded, not tossed aside. 

Against LHP, Os need Mounty and Hays to rake.  Both have historically done so when digging into their respective splits, particularly against LHP fastballs feasting to the tune of xWOBA .400-.500 and xSLG .600+ (heck Mounty was .798 xSLG in 23 and .763 xSLG in 21 against LHP fastballs).  Neither one has done much at all so far this season vs LHP.

If I'm not mistaken, Gunnar kind of improved as the 23 season went on against LHP'ing. 

Guys like Mullins and Hays have been well documented about their struggles against any type of pitching. Neither of those 2 are in any danger of losing their mostly everyday jobs.

Mateo doesn't really hit well enough against LHP'ing to have him in any conversation. His benefits are defense (doesn't look great in the OF...yet), and base running. At some point they're going to have to move on here.

Urias is unexplainable. He's a ML player, but he's not hitting much of anything right now. 

It will all balance out as the season goes on. Elias understands that if NY is healthy, they and Tampa are going to be tough to hang with once the season gets going if roster moves aren't made.

2 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

People keep saying small sample size but we witnessed the same things happen at the end of last season, and it was one of the things that eliminated us from the playoffs.

Can you be more specific?  I'm not following. 

3 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Can you be more specific?  I'm not following. 

I keep reading people saying not to worry because 6 games is a small sample size. What I'm saying is that the sample size is much bigger than 6 games and that the offense has gone MIA during last season too. It's usually vs soft tossing breaking ball artists that the offense goes missing on. Some of those happened to be LHP.

Now with that out of the way, I do agree that it's too early to be alarmed and overreact about Hays and Urias. They will produce in large sample sizes because they always have. Especially with their glove.

18 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Weak sauce LHP like Andrew Heaney, Will Smith (yep, same guy from last night) and Cody Bradford handled the Orioles bats.

Cody Bradford has even had thoracic outlet surgery, for goodness sakes.

The O’s hit better vs. LHP than RHP in the playoff series last year.  

• Upvote 1

On 4/4/2024 at 11:00 AM, Spy Fox said:

I posted this in the discussion of Sandoval on opening day but I think it's good general intel. For whatever reason, the O's were excellent vs lefties on the road last year (.835 OPS, 2nd in MLB), but pretty bad against lefties at home (.694, 26th in MLB). The year before, they were 17th in MLB vs lefties on the road, but 29th at home. 

The wall is probably part of the "whatever reason." But it's not all about righties missing their pulled HRs, because the big offender last year was the O's putting up a paltry .502 OPS in their left-on-left PAs at Camden. 

Right handed hitters will have problems at Camden because of the wall. Left handers will struggle because of left on left matchup. It’s a paradise for LHP. 

A guy on another O's site was trying to bash Holliday and say he wasn't ready for the majors because he struck out twice as much as he walked against LHP.  I wasn't even sure how to have an intelligent argument with him.  The average trolls here are above average posters on other baseball sites sad to say. 

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

A guy on another O's site was trying to bash Holliday and say he wasn't ready for the majors because he struck out twice as much as he walked against LHP.  I wasn't even sure how to have an intelligent argument with him.  The average trolls here are above average posters on other baseball sites sad to say. 

BSAL?