Brandon Hyde 2024

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

That 2018 was a disaster beset by controversy, players in massive decline, and a GM who had given up and was way above his head. 

If you blame that on Buck I have no idea what to say other than again.....self ban yourself.

Buck was part of the controversy and was instrumental in keeping those declining players on the team.

How can you possibly give him credit for 2012 and excuse away 2018?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can you go ahead and show me where I have ever stated that Hyde can take the O's to a WS Championship?

Frankly I don't think the manager makes much of a difference the vast majority of the time.

Get to the playoffs and roll the dice.

I've never heard anyone wax poetic about Joe Altobelli.

That is exactly what I thought you would say.

Tell me, have you ever played a team sport at all?   With a good or bad coach in your life?  I genuinely want to know.

It doesn't seem like it if you think coaches make any difference.   I guess the managers in the NFL and MLB Hall of Fame could just be replaced by the losingest coaches of all time and it wouldn't matter to you.  A coach is a coach is a manager.  All interchangeable. 

As someone who has played multiple team sports, with maybe 50 different coaches in my lifetime? 

It makes a huge difference.  Just like the CEO of a company or the Governor or a Senator or a Mayor or a US President makes a difference.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You want stats?

You downvoted me saying that Dum Dum was better than Buck.

Here is a stat for you.

Buck Showalter's winning percentage as a manager .509.

Davey Johnson's winning percentage as a manager .562.

Davey also has a ring.

And I think Davey Johnson was an excellent manager.  EXCELLENT.

AND?

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And he gets no blame for 2018?

You take the good you take the bad you take them both and there you have:

The fact of life.

Again.....

Since you and others are so dead set on the thought process that Hyde can take the Os to one WS championship and beyond...please explain to me using facts, or at least opinions with facts backing that opinion up.  Why that is so?

What do you see in him that makes you so sure he is the man to lead our beloved Os to the promised land?

Please respond.

That is exactly what I thought you would say.

Tell me, have you ever played a team sport at all?   With a good or bad coach in your life?  I genuinely want to know.

It doesn't seem like it if think coaches make no difference.   I guess the managers in the NFL and MLB Hall of Fame could just be replaced by the losingest coaches of all time and it wouldn't matter to you.  A coach is a coach is a manager.  All interchangeable. 

As someone who has played multiple team sports, with maybe 50 different coaches in my lifetime? 

It makes a huge difference.  Just like the CEO of a company or the Governor or a Senator or a Mayor or a US President makes a difference.

Talent is king.

Just now, OnlyOneOriole said:

Again.....

Since you and others are so dead set on the thought process that Hyde can take the Os to one WS championship and beyond...please explain to me using facts, or at least opinions with facts backing that opinion up.  Why that is so?

What do you see in him that makes you so sure he is the man to lead our beloved Os to the promised land?

Please respond.

Again, I haven't said that.

Not sure why you keep lying about it.

I don't care if Hyde comes back next year or not.

I'd have no problem at all with Buck Britton getting a shot. (for instance)

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Buck was part of the controversy and was instrumental in keeping those declining players on the team.

How can you possibly give him credit for 2012 and excuse away 2018?

The greatest NBA coach of all time IMO was Chuck Daly of the Pistons.

He even said, "After a few years?  No matter how good of a coach you are the players will tune you out".

It is the nature of the beast with Pro athletes. 

The greatest NBA coach of all time IMO was Chuck Daly of the Pistons.

He even said, "After a few years?  No matter how good of a coach you are the players will tune you out".

It is the nature of the beast with Pro athletes. 

All I hear are excuses.

I believe:

Buck kept Davis on the team.

Buck kept Tillman on the team.

Buck kept Trumbo on the team.

Buck kept O'Day on the team.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

All I hear are excuses.

I believe:

Buck kept Davis on the team.

Buck kept Tillman on the team.

Buck kept Trumbo on the team.

Buck kept O'Day on the team.

LOL.  Seriously?  This is your argument?

My god.  I honestly thought you were smart at baseball.  But I feel as if I am talking to novice. 

What did you want Buck to do and say?  He is  Buck S.  He does not do reclamation projects.  He is a ALL IN win now manager.

Did you honestly expect him  to go along with cutting all of their best players and go through 4-5 years of carnage?  Being the worst team in baseball?  For what?  Why would someone of his stature do that?

Are you f'ing serious????  Explain that to me.  He doesn't want any part of that nor would anyone blame him for not wanting any part of that. 

THAT IS EXACTLY WHY BRANDON HYDE WAS HIRED.  To be a manager who can take years of losing and not say a word about it.  To be a good soldier.  A yes guy. 

He did his job well.  That doesn't mean he is at all qualified to win the Os multiple WS championships now that the Os are good.

Especially, ESPECIALLY when the Os are playing....these young Os that we spent so much time grooming....ARE PLAYING HORRIBLE FUNDAMENTAL BASEBALL. 

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And he gets no blame for 2018?

You take the good you take the bad you take them both and there you have:

The fact of life.

I have always said: almost every manager has a shelf life with a team.  They get to a point where the players start to tune them out.  Even those who were once an inspiration to the team.  It’s not that they’ve become worse at their jobs.  It’s just the nature of the beast.   

Just now, OnlyOneOriole said:

My god.  I honestly thought you were smart at baseball.  But I feel as if I am talking to novice. 

What did you want Buck to do and say?  He is  Buck S.  He does not do reclamation projects.  He is a ALL IN win now manager.

Did you honestly expect him  to go along with cutting all of their best players and go through 4-5 years of carnage?  Being the worst team in baseball?  For what?  Why would someone of his stature do that?

Are you f'ing serious????  Explain that to me.  He doesn't want any part of that nor would anyone blame him for not wanting any part of that. 

THAT IS EXACTLY WHY BRANDON HYDE WAS HIRED.  To be a manager who can take years of losing and not say a word about it.  To be a good soldier.  A yes guy. 

He did his job well.  That doesn't mean he is at all qualified to win the Os multiple WS championships now that the Os are good.

Especially, ESPECIALLY when the Os are playing....these young Os that we spent so much time grooming....ARE PLAYING HORRIBLE FUNDAMENTAL BASEBALL. 

The same Buck Showalter that the manager of an expansion team?

The same Buck Showalter that took over an O's team that was well under .500 in 2010?

I would think that an ALL IN win now manager would have, you know, WON at some point.

You know what Buck's winning percentage in the playoffs is?

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have always said: almost every manager has a shelf life with a team.  They get to a point where the players start to tune them out.  Even those who were once an inspiration to the team.  It’s not that they’ve become worse at their jobs.  It’s just the nature of the beast.   

I don't disagree.

I just don't see reasoning behind the near deification of Buck that some folks have.

Is 2012 all that much more impressive than Hyde's 2022?  Buck's team won 24 more games.  Hyde's won 31 more.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Isn’t the young guys playing “horrible fundamental baseball” more of an indictment of bad “grooming” while they were in the minors?

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As Chuck Daly, Hall of Fame Nba coach, has said.