Holliday called up!

jcaponio

45 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

Would hate to lose kemp this early in the season.  A veteran clubhouse presence can’t be overstated for this team.

I'd laugh, but there are at least three posters in this thread who would tell you that's true if Elias said it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Good Lord man. TAKE A DEEP BREATH and don't think you have to personally go on crusade to defend Elias IN EVERYTHING HE DOES. Signing Kemp was dumb. It was unnecessary. They had Maton and for the little bit they used Kemp they could have used Maton. 

Now who cares if they spend $300k ish more than major league minimum, it's was a dumb unnecessary move that made little sense when it happened. 

The fact that it appears that Holliday is not going to be down for any length, and signing Kemp makes even less sense. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. 

That's a fact.

1 minute ago, yark14 said:

Most important question, who is going to buy the kid beer?  Perhaps a clubhouse attendant, or does Gunnar let him borrow his ID?

That's a clown question......bro!   LOL

4 minutes ago, deward said:

Sometimes a mistake is just a mistake. Smart people can talk themselves into bad decisions. Not saying this is one, time will tell there. 

everyone knows this - whats your point? 

i was just saying its safe to assume elias and co has a good reason for what they did, even if we don't get it. Doesn't seem controversial. 

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You can't possibly believe less than 15 PAs against lefties changed anything, can you?

It’s a small factor along with other things.  He’s had an overall good start, has done fine against lefties (who we won’t see much of the next two weeks anyway), has had some more reps at 2B, and a few of our 2B rotation guys haven’t been producing.  And it was now or never if we want a shot at the ROY draft pick.  The decision to send him down was a 51/49 type call, and the needle has moved just enough.  

Now, let’s see the kid prove they made the right decision to call him up.  

I think the kid bats last for a minute ala Jeter.

Kutter C. and Whitlock might get:

SS Gunnar, C Adley, RF Santander, 1B Mountcastle, DH O'Hearn, CF Mullins, LF Cowser, 3B Westburg, 2B Holliday

Roster Resource has made the Cowser in for Hays switch on its guessed Go To lineup v. RHP.

I don't believe in the slightest that a day to day emerging injury scenario has affected this colossal data-driven decision.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Westburg not playing today and not even pinch hitting (Mateo did for Kemp) makes me think that’s the issue. 

Even if Westburg was injured, they still have Norby who would have been able to step right in and fill the same role at 2nd base batting right handed as Westburg and provide some more pop to the lineup.

So I think there's something else to it.

39 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Development & reps.  He’s had 51 PAs….in comparison Gunnar has had 39.   He likely wouldn’t have started every game and would have only had like 25-30 by now.  He got time to work at 2B.  He avoided some of the more challenging lefties in MLB.  

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Yes, those 12 extra PAs certainly developed him into the major league ready players he wasn't out of spring training. If you are going to be unreasonable, I'm going to keep calling you out. You are way too smart for any of these takes. 

Elias can make mistakes. I love him, think he's fantastic overall, but when crap don't make sense, I'm going to say it doesn't make sense and not just try and agree with everything he does. 

• Upvote 2

My read: Kemp bought Elias an extra two weeks to give Holliday AAA reps and get a look at the ROY race. With Texas boys off to a slow start Elias decided to pull the trigger. Yes, "need to hit lefties" was GM speak just as much as "strong chance at opening day roster." At the end of the day he made the right move, and what he says doesn't matter.

4 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Where does Jackson bat in the line up?  9th?

9th wouldn't be bad to start.  He'll see a lot of pitches in front of Gunnar.  Once he starts hitting and we know he'll draw walks, I won't be surprised if he becomes the O's leadoff hitter.  Gunnar 2nd, Adley 3rd.