Holliday called up!

jcaponio

2 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

What if we find out down the road that the decision wasn't even made by Elias.  What if Rubenstein is meddling and made his first big decision and told Elias to call him up.

That would suck but I do wonder if Rubenstein said something like, we will spend to get an extension done, so if you want to bring him up now, do it.

7 minutes ago, milbest77 said:

Yo, chill. Is this not a discussion forum where people can voice their opinions and every little comment gets torn to shreds?

There you go.  Yes, this is correct.

Assuming (I know) that Westburg is now the primary 3B, Holliday the primary 2B, and Mateo probably the #1 backup at 2B, Ramon Urias must be asking himself “What’s left for me”?

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I know Gunnar had to ruin it by hitting a homer as his first hit but wonder if Jackson keeps up the trend and his first Ml hit is a triple?

I’ll go with a double off the Green Monster.   Close play at 2B!

24 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

The Kemp deal was always to DFA in mind and pocket a guy in AAA in case of injury on the big league club. No one is going to touch that million I don't think and we will be nestled at Norfolk, waiting in the wings.

^^^This. I think they gave him extra money to make sure he wasn't claimed on waivers. They probably like something about his game and think they can squeeze some value out of it. Worst case is he gets waived and never added to a ML roster. Mid case is he gets waived and added to a roster during which time the other team will pick up the minimum salary with the O's on the hook for the remainder.

BTW, Holliday's nickname should be whatever his buddies called him in high school, assuming it's PG. 

Just now, RZNJ said:

Assuming (I know) that Westburg is now the primary 3B, Holliday the primary 2B, and Mateo probably the #1 backup at 2B, Ramon Urias must be asking himself “What’s left for me”?

Even if they do the unthinkable and pinch hit for Holliday against a tough bullpen lefty late in the game, that would probably still be Mateo over Urias. So, you're right. He's not separating himself from Westburg at all. You have an obvious upgrade in Mayo ready to go. 

Maybe late game defensive replacement at 3B is about it? 

Just now, RZNJ said:

I think Ramon is probably asking himself how he breaks out of his slump first. Elias needs to start looking for a place to off load these veteran guys who are, or expected to be, outperformed by more talented young guys. 

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Ramon seems like a good guy.   Personally, with the versatility and speed we now have on the infield, I'd rather keep Urias as the backup infielder than Mateo.

To me, the only thing Mateo offers is speed.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Coby Mayo is breathing down his neck.

7 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

What if we find out down the road that the decision wasn't even made by Elias.  What if Rubenstein is meddling and made his first big decision and told Elias to call him up.

Until I see evidence to the contrary, I’m taking DR at his word. He has essentially said he will defer baseball decisions to his baseball experts, talking up his GM among the best if not the best GM in the game. However, I do see Elias presenting DR with all of the financial implications surrounding the call up of Holliday — and then the new boss telling him to go for it now.

• Upvote 2