The Brewers Series

Just Regular

Milwaukee's rainout yesterday means we get to face their Ace in Jackson Holliday's OPACY debut.

Freddy P v. Wells

DL Hall v. Kremer

C. Rea v. Burnes

Burnes getting advanced to Tuesday on 5 days' rest puts him into this series with his old team.

The Burnes sell-off did not extend to Willy Adames, so Joey Ortiz for now is in a 3B platoon with Oliver Dunn, though Ortiz has already also picked up a couple starts v. RHP this week.    I think we'll see him at least one start even though we are throwing all RHP.

Christian Yelich and Jackson Chourio are having some overlap as the leaders of the old generation and new generation.    Defense sometimes being a young man's skill, OAA sees Jackson Chourio off to a quick start as a top tier outfield glove.     Yelich and William Contreras are both off to tremendous starts, powering the Brewers to an early Top 5 standing in wRC+.    The Contreras brothers are setting a good bar for Jackson and Ethan to chase, over 4.0 WAR/162 collectively.

K-bb and PitchingBot's ERA estimator think Orioles pitching is MLB best so far.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Brewers are 8-3 and KC just put Houston through the meat grinder. Our easy April schedule is actually full of teams playing really well right now. 

Angels are in second place at 6-6 and the Pirates are 9-4.  The talk of an easy schedule was vastly overstated.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Angels are in second place at 6-6 and the Pirates are 9-4.  The talk of an easy schedule was vastly overstated.  

It is nice to at least have avoided an early west coast trip and finally start the season at home. But yeah, stiffer opposition than anticipated. Even the Red Sox, who started on a heater and put up a good fight if not for their bullpen and defense. 

Every few days I try to google about Hall's velo drop to find out if it's intentional or if there's any reason for it, but I never find anything. I am fascinated by it haha. Either we really pulled a heist on Milwaukee (not that Hall is pitching poorly per se...), or it's intentional to get more control (but his WHIP is still high...). Or... something else? 

Dunno!

Edited by interloper

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Every few days I try to google about Hall's velo drop to find out if it's intentional or if there's any reason for it, but I never find anything. I am fascinated by it haha. Either we really pulled a heist on Milwaukee (not that Hall is pitching poorly per se...), or it's intentional to get more control (but his WHIP is still high...). Or... something else? 

Dunno!

Velo drop seems to be a league wide phenomenon. 

1 minute ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

It’s been cold everywhere this month. I don’t think Grayson has thrown in a game over 50 degrees. Velo will get back closer to normal numbers when it heats up.

Agreed. I also think it's totally fine for him to chill out on 98 and 99 if 95-97 is working. I've got the heebie jeebies with all these pitcher injuries. 

Just now, TopGunnar said:

We want to play good teams. We want to be battle tested

Yes, but I feel like we have been winning with a combination of us beating the other team and them beating themselves.  It's early and this team is figuring it out, certainly Cowser Westburg really getting comfortable is great.  But I want to se us beat a team that plays well.