Anthony Santander 2024

DirtyBird

Teoscar Hernandez seems like the good comp for what type of salary he would get though the year he having hitting might pass that.  Hernandez took a 1 year deal for 23.5 million for little bounce back deal.  

13 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

I’ve come around on Santa. Give him a QO. He might’ve even take it. And that would be fine.

He's hit more HRs in the past 3 years than any switch hitter in baseball and doesn't kill you in the field. His getting a QO was never in doubt. Not even in May.

2 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Teoscar Hernandez seems like the good comp for what type of salary he would get though the year he having hitting might pass that.  Hernandez took a 1 year deal for 23.5 million for little bounce back deal.  

Hernandez was coming off of a 107 OPS+, I think teams might have been reluctant he was falling off. The last time Santander had an OPS+ under 120 was in 2021.

41 minutes ago, Malike said:

He's hit more HRs in the past 3 years than any switch hitter in baseball and doesn't kill you in the field. His getting a QO was never in doubt. Not even in May.

I know! And it took you guys so long to come around… I just don’t get it. It was so obvious.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

I know! And it took you guys so long to come around… I just don’t get it. It was so obvious.

I think a lot of people are afraid he will age poorly as he was looking bad a year or two in the field.  He seems to look lot more athletic and in better shape this year.  

23 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Very few people on here were hesitant to support a QO, from what I recall. That has seemed obvious all year.

23 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Very few people on here were hesitant to support a QO, from what I recall. That has seemed obvious all year.

I was joking. I was one of those who was quite confident he wasn’t going to get the qualifying offer because of his defense. I was wrong. Mea culpa.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Where Free Agency is concerned reasonable often does not apply.   Take reasonable. Add a year or two and then up the average cost by 30%.

It seems like people want it both ways here.

As someone who last year, very unpopularly, was saying Cruz would likely reject a QO with another solid season, people seem to want to claim simultaneously that he'd never reject a QO AND he'd never sign a reasonable FA contract.

Both of those things aren't likely to be true.

1 hour ago, survivedc said:

You recall correctly.

It was very unpopular to suggest he would reject a QO last winter.

2 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

I think a lot of people are afraid he will age poorly as he was looking bad a year or two in the field.  He seems to look lot more athletic and in better shape this year.  

He was joking. He's maintained that giving Santander a QO would be stupid as he would absolutely take it, so one shouldn't be offered.

I dunno. I feel like Santander is the kind of player teams are getting leery of giving long-term contracts to. He's 30, doesn't have great OBP and if he loses another step or two is going to be a defensive liability.

If you look at their stat pages, Mark Trumbo and Anthony Santander look pretty similar. Both had/are having their best season at 30, and are power hitting outfielders with poor on base abilities. Teams (other than, sadly, the Orioles) weren't falling over themselves to sign Mike Trumbo to a long-term deal, and while Santander is better than him, he isn't that much better.

If Santander finishes the year hot with an OPS over .820 or so, I probably would make him the QO, expect him to turn it down and make way for one of the glut of young outfielders we have.

EDIT: Whoops, Santander is 29. I think the basic point still holds.

Edited by ChosenOne21