Anthony Santander 2024

DirtyBird

Just now, Chavez Ravine said:

Is there field data to support this? I know there are studies that suggest reasons why it might—plus there are all the anecdotal cases like Barry Bonds. But seems like there are just as many reasons to think that f’ing with your endocrine system would shorten your career. Have the Russians published any longitudinal data?

What were the player aging curves during the height of the steroid era compared to the rest of baseball history?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What were the player aging curves during the height of the steroid era compared to the rest of baseball history?

That's a good question that I can't answer. I'd follow it up with what is the aging curve of HoF players because most of the standouts from the steroid era would have been HoF players without them most likely.

So maybe it's a case of Bonds would have aged better than most people because he was a far superior talent to most people?

Just now, Malike said:

That's a good question that I can't answer. I'd follow it up with what is the aging curve of HoF players because most of the standouts from the steroid era would have been HoF players without them most likely.

So maybe it's a case of Bonds would have aged better than most people because he was a far superior talent to most people?

I believe HoF aging curves are largely similar to non-HoF players, but since the HoF players were stronger players in their prime, they were able to be useful baseball players for longer as they declined.

Just now, ChosenOne21 said:

I believe HoF aging curves are largely similar to non-HoF players, but since the HoF players were stronger players in their prime, they were able to be useful baseball players for longer as they declined.

So how are we to determine the effects of steroids on players that are HoF players? If steroids were a panacea, guys like Jay Gibbons should have been worth more than 5 WAR for his career.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Someone must have done that—but i’m too lazy to look. The weirdo aging curve that stands out for me is Jose Canseco.

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

So how are we to determine the effects of steroids on players that are HoF players? If steroids were a panacea, guys like Jay Gibbons should have been worth more than 5 WAR for his career.

I don't think anyone thinks it was a panacea.  What you took, how your body reacted, what work you did ect ect.  Tons of factors in play.

My recollection is a lot more guys being productive at 35+.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think anyone thinks it was a panacea.  What you took, how your body reacted, what work you did ect ect.  Tons of factors in play.

My recollection is a lot more guys being productive at 35+.

Right, I get that, but my question is if a guy is averaging an OPS+ of 150+ through his 20's and early 30's and then has an OPS+ of 120 at 35 that wouldn't seem too shocking. He's a superior talent and as he gets older his 75% is still better than the average players 100%. I'm not talking about the huge spikes in 98 and 99, the balls had to have been juiced to hell in those years.

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

Right, I get that, but my question is if a guy is averaging an OPS+ of 150+ through his 20's and early 30's and then has an OPS+ of 120 at 35 that wouldn't seem too shocking. He's a superior talent and as he gets older his 75% is still better than the average players 100%. I'm not talking about the huge spikes in 98 and 99, the balls had to have been juiced to hell in those years.

You'd compare those guys to their peer groups in other eras.  How many top 100 players are over 35 right now#?  How many were in the steroid era?  Not a great tool but if you see an odd spike it might mean something.

• 2 weeks later...

7th time in his career hitting a HR from both sides of the plate for O’s tonight.  Trails the great Eddie Murray by 1 HR for O’s career record for same game L/R HR’s.  Also,  great catch off hard hit ball by Vlad Jr.  

34th HR on Aug. 7,  is 45 in the cards?  His post game interview was spot on and felt genuine saying the “W” was more important than his individual accomplishments.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Birdland in NC said:

Aaron Judge is 32….I guess he’s done.  Probably only gonna hit 12 home runs next season at best, 33 is just a death sentence, you know, Mark Trumbo and all.  Some of you people are absolutely nuts.   

So how big a contract would you be willing to give him?   I won’t be surprised if he gets 5/$100 mm — are you in favor of paying him that much if that’s what it takes?

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So how big a contract would you be willing to give him?   I won’t be surprised if he gets 5/$100 mm — are you in favor of paying him that much if that’s what it takes?

Hmmm. If I may chime in. Depends if they are able to resign Burns or not. Losing both will be a big blow. Not only is  Santander  a good ballplayer but by all accounts a team leader for this young ball club. 

Edited by Baseball fandom