Tyler Wells goes on IL with right elbow inflammation. Update: Albert Suarez will start today's 1pm start.

DirtyBird

If ST tells us anything, it will be Suarez over Zimmerman. Suarez pitched 15.2 IP to Zimmerman’s 7.2 IP. So they must like him a bit more.

Banuelos gets DFAd to make room for him. He was only added to roster last night because he was with the team and it was a reward. We basically plucked the bullpen catcher and added him. There was no reason to IL Wells yesterday other than to give Banuelos a moment. It’ll be a bizzare piece of O’s trivia years from now and possibly inspire a future handle. 

• Upvote 1

The problem with Suárez is that he doesn’t have options, so once they add him to the 40 man he needs to stay on the big league roster or be DFA’d. If this will only be a start or two before Means is back and they don’t want to add additional non-optionable roster crunch on the pen, it may make more sense to be Zimmerman today and then potentially Povich for however many more they need. 

I really want to see Suárez get a shot at some point this season, especially as a RP. But not if that means just 1 or 2 starts and then he has to be DFA’d and not ever given a look as a RP.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If ST tells us anything, it will be Suarez over Zimmerman. Suarez pitched 15.2 IP to Zimmerman’s 7.2 IP. So they must like him a bit more.

Banuelos gets DFAd to make room for him. He was only added to roster last night because he was with the team and it was a reward. We basically plucked the bullpen catcher and added him. There was no reason to IL Wells yesterday other than to give Banuelos a moment. It’ll be a bizzare piece of O’s trivia years from now and possibly inspire a future handle. 

I will quibble a tiny bit with the "no reason to IL Wells yesterday" part. In the event that it's a very minor injury, you want him back ASAP so you start the IL clock as soon as you can. It's the difference of only 1 day, sure, but you might as well.

Also, both Adley and McCann were in the lineup, so adding Banuelos at least gives you a small bit of protection there. 

Edited by interloper

3 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

The problem with Suárez is that he doesn’t have options, so once they add him to the 40 man he needs to stay on the big league roster or be DFA’d. If this will only be a start or two before Means is back and they don’t want to add additional non-optionable roster crunch on the pen, it may make more sense to be Zimmerman today and then potentially Povich for however many more they need. 

I really want to see Suárez get a shot at some point this season, especially as a RP. But not if that means just 1 or 2 starts and then he has to be DFA’d and not ever given a look as a RP.

Well what if he shits the bed early? How many starts would the O’s realistically give him anyway and how much seasoning do you think he needs to perfect his game in AAA?

Welcome to the last Arm with options top rung Mr. Dillon Tate.

Same as Hays is moving through some career transition, Orioles on the rise perhaps make Tate a 2024 Up-Down guy despite him having a couple nice full seasons in his career.

Elias maybe won't have done his job well if by post trade deadline it hasn't gotten to a point he's had to risk losing guys like Irvin, Webb and Baumann.    Cionel's oblique should get a nice healthy healing period.

41 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Well what if he shits the bed early? How many starts would the O’s realistically give him anyway and how much seasoning do you think he needs to perfect his game in AAA?

I’m not sure about Suárez as a SP, although I’d rather him than Zimmermann. He gives us the best chance to win today so I understand prioritizing that. It’s just that I really like the prospect of him as a RP where he should be able to better maintain the upper 90s velo we saw in Spring Training.

Anyway I’m excited to watch Suárez today. I just hope he doesn’t ultimately get DFA’d due to a roster crunch before he gets a shot as a RP. If Bradish and Means bump him and Irvin out of the rotation, Suárez, Irvin, Baumann, Webb and Ramírez don’t have options, Perez is coming back at some point and doesn’t either, and Akin isn’t going to be optioned. There’s likely to be some DFAs and I don’t want to see Suárez be an odd man out without seeing him in a RP role. 

15 hours ago, HuskerFan said:

It's not Povich. 

Couldn’t be, since he pitched on Saturday.  But I wonder if they’ll consider skipping his Thursday turn for Norfolk and using him on the road trip.  

8 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

I’m not sure about Suárez as a SP, although I’d rather him than Zimmermann. He gives us the best chance to win today so I understand prioritizing that. It’s just that I really like the prospect of him as a RP where he should be able to better maintain the upper 90s velo we saw in Spring Training.

Anyway I’m excited to watch Suárez today. I just hope he doesn’t ultimately get DFA’d due to a roster crunch before he gets a shot as a RP. If Bradish and Means bump him and Irvin out of the rotation, Suárez, Irvin, Baumann, Webb and Ramírez don’t have options, Perez is coming back at some point and doesn’t either, and Akin isn’t going to be optioned. There’s likely to be some DFAs and I don’t want to see Suárez be an odd man out without seeing him in a RP role. 

I agree, his last start was, what, like 6 or 7 years ago for the Giants? This is a huge moment for him. I like Wells too, but if he’s not healthy and with Means and Bradish waiting, Suarez might be a solid addition until folks get healthy. This is his opportunity to make the club for the year or be sent around the league, mired in the minors. 

im praying for his success. I think he can do it. He knows he has to do it. Go kick some ass Suarez!

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Couldn’t be, since he pitched on Saturday.  But I wonder if they’ll consider skipping his Thursday turn for Norfolk and using him on the road trip.  

I wish.

Friday - Burnes
Saturday - Povich
Sunday - Kremer
Monday - Grayson
Tuesday - Irvin

But that probably won't happen