Albert Suarez 2024

Tony-OH

2 hours ago, interloper said:

It's a bit odd his velo is down in a relief role, but maybe this is just closer to his true velo after the adrenaline of his first start. 

Other than that, I have no complaints. 

It seemed like his FB velo was down when the rain/wet conditions were present (saw some 91mphs) and then ticked back up to customary 94-95mph range.

While we all were hoping for 2mph velo bump (so 96-97mph) in relief, it’s probably a little too early to say for sure that it won’t happen.  Still adjusting to warm up routines and availability. That being said, even if velo bump doesn’t occur, Suarez still looks effective as BP piece (albeit not shutdown hi leverage type).

The lower velo did trip the filter of a Rotographs person who follows velo game to game.    It's notable to me his "extra velo" story this spring came from a mechancial tweak the Orioles gave him when we live in a world where usually the theme of that one is Driveline, Tread, John Means' neighborhood place, etc.

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/three-appearance-fastball-velocity-risers-and-fallers-may-16th-2024/

Same piece also highlights Berrios with very hot stuff by his own personal standard Monday.

• Upvote 1

Suarez’ velo makes me think he is an IL candidate when Grayson is activated, if there’s some nagging injury that is contributing to it. 

I think it’s very unlikely Akin is optioned and Baumann has pitched better of late, so good chance somebody is going to the IL. 

10 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Suarez’ velo makes me think he is an IL candidate when Grayson is activated, if there’s some nagging injury that is contributing to it. 

I think it’s very unlikely Akin is optioned and Baumann has pitched better of late, so good chance somebody is going to the IL. 

He might just be adjusting to his new role and knowing he has to save some as a possible long man.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

ESPN has him as the probable today as we have Cade Povich watch.

I kind of wonder if letting Povich stay in the East and study his Rafael Devers this weekend might be optimal.

Hyde already said Suarez is starting. Wish Povich was. 

25 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

ESPN has him as the probable today as we have Cade Povich watch.

I kind of wonder if letting Povich stay in the East and study his Rafael Devers this weekend might be optimal.

He's now listed as the starter and Povich is listed as the starter in Norfolk. This tells me that they expect Kremer back as soon as his IL time is up, which is a good thing. I still rather have him start, Suarez in the bullpen and send Vespi or Tate back, but IEWT.

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He's now listed as the starter and Povich is listed as the starter in Norfolk. This tells me that they expect Kremer back as soon as his IL time is up, which is a good thing. I still rather have him start, Suarez in the bullpen and send Vespi or Tate back, but IEWT.

IEWT is an acronym I can’t decipher.

I both can't believe Elias decided to start Suarez and that Suarez did as well as he did.

I've gotta believe if Suarez keeps starting he's going to get exposed at some point. Yes he shut out the opponent, but it was the White Sox and it took him 80 pitches in four innings.

36 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I both can't believe Elias decided to start Suarez and that Suarez did as well as he did.

I've gotta believe if Suarez keeps starting he's going to get exposed at some point. Yes he shut out the opponent, but it was the White Sox and it took him 80 pitches in four innings.

He’d pitched on May 18, May 20 and May 22, so it’s not that surprising that he didn’t completely maintain his command for 4 innings on May 25.  He made pitches when he needed to.   Great outing IMO.

• Upvote 3