Sarris @The Athletic: Burnes #1, G-Rod #6

Just now, ArtVanDelay said:

Statcast calls it a cutter.

Well, last year he had both a cutter and a slider.  In the first two months, he was having trouble commanding the slider and was using the cutter way too much.  When he returned, he’d almost completely ditched the cutter and had regained command of the slider.   So he’s definitely got a slider.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Well, last year he had both a cutter and a slider.  In the first two months, he was having trouble commanding the slider and was using the cutter way too much.  When he returned, he’d almost completely ditched the cutter and had regained command of the slider.   So he’s definitely got a slider.  

image.thumb.png.86390ea7a9becd64f49cfab67b87b1c8.png

image.thumb.png.4c55876995d97fcc3b09f778dc48e77d.png

This is how statcast classifies his pitching repertoire. It seems he has gone from a slider to a cutter this year. Much less horizontal drop. Not sure why since his slider was very effective last year. Both his fastball and cutter have been hit a bit this year when you look at XWOBA.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Right, he has a slider but he’s shelved it so far this year. 

3 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Right, he has a slider but he’s shelved it so far this year. 

That seems really weird to me.  That’s been a pretty good pitch for him for years.   I’ll have to watch his next start more closely.   

Here’s a quote from Grayson after his Tuesday start:

"Fastball command wasn't really there," he said. "I thought that could have been a lot better. But being able to pitch with the off-speed was a big step forward, being able to land stuff for strikes. Also, put guys away with sliders in the dirt."

He hasn’t ditched the slider.   Maybe he’s just throwing it differently?   

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s getting to the point where I’m going to be surprised when GRod gives up even 4 runs in a start.

Its obviously going to happen but I think he has reached that point of expecting an ace level start every time out.

I thought going into the season Grayson Rodriguez had a good shot to be the Orioles best starter even with Burnes and Bradish on the team. If Bradish can return back to form the Orioles starting rotation might feature three ace-like pitchers. I've never seen that in my lifetime watching Orioles baseball.