If Holliday Goes Down Who Comes Up

RZNJ

Do the Orioles platoon Urias and Mateo (Urias is historically better against RHP) at 2B and leave Westburg at 3B?   This seems most likely to me.   In this case, you’d assume Holliday is replaced by a reserve infielder.   We lost Diego Castillo and Livan Soto on waivers and Nick Matón is currently on the IL at Norfolk.   Norby?  Errol Robinson?   Neither is on the 40 man.

Do the Orioles move Westburg to 2B and risk 3B to another rookie adjustment and questionable defense by calling up Mayo?   This seems less likely but certainly an option.

Any other possibilities?

Kjerstad for a LHB or Norby for 2B. Depends the direction they want to go but seems like they value the LHB and Kjerstad is already on the 40 man roster. Urias would move into the lineup which is fine as he hits RHP.

Gunnar SS, Adley C, Santander DH, O'Hearn 1B, Cowser LF, Kjerstad RF, Mullins CF, Westburg 2B, Urias 3B (McCann, Mateo, Hays, Mountcastle)

If Urias struggles, bring up whoever is doing better between Holliday and Norby.

The other prospects who have been in the minors longer are watching. They know they were bypassed for the phenom. I like to think Norby or Mayo might be ready for a chance. This is the best scenario for the team. Holliday will come up later in the season and be fine. We get the extra year and Elias can always point to this when people suggest he is keeping a prospect down too long. Could not have turned out better!

Edited by gamiliel

12 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

LOL. Less than 30 ABs and the kid that EVERYONE clamored for is ready to be sent down. OK. 

The possibility that he gets sent down is real.  I’m not saying he should get sent down yet BUT what might happen IF he does go down.   There’s a difference.

• Upvote 1

Norby, but I think it’s very unlikely he gets sent down. I think he probably has through the next home stand before being really evaluated. He’s only in Kyle Stowers territory now. He has some ABs to accumulate. But he won’t keep playing every day. I expect to see more Urias over the next week. 

Eduardo Escobar, Tony Kemp, Kolten Wong, or Roughned Odor

If Elias/Hyde are OK with not having a lefty 2B option, then they could play Urias/Mateo there and insert Norby as DH on days that we face a lefty and McCann isn’t catching.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Tell me how everyone is playing in a month when this decision may be made and I will have a better chance on having an answer.

Sure thing.  We’ll get back to you.

33 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The possibility that he gets sent down is real.  I’m not saying he should get sent down yet BUT what might happen IF he does go down.   There’s a difference.

I imagine IF he gets sent down, the player called up in his place will disappoint the OH masses. IE not Norby, Mayo, etc but instead whatever version of Tony Kemp we currently have down there.  

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Tell me how everyone is playing in a month when this decision may be made and I will have a better chance on having an answer.

100 percent. We are lacking evidence to make a  conclusion. First Holiday needs about 50-100 more AB to see if he can turn things around. Second the replacement gets 50-100 AAA AB to see who’s hot.

2 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I imagine IF he gets sent down, the player called up in his place will disappoint the OH masses. IE not Norby, Mayo, etc but instead whatever version of Tony Kemp we currently have down there.  

Wow!   Are the OH masses wrong to be disappointed by a 1-27 start with 15 strikeouts?   Again, just asking what people think happens if and when it happens.  You seem to be taking an emotional angle instead of just offering an opinion on what the corresponding move would be.  

It will be a different person replacing Jackson’s role vs replacing his roster spot.  Urias would start most games in infield, with Mateo getting some starts against lefties.  The person taking Jackson’s roster spot will be in a 26th man role and won’t start more than once a week.  The 26th man spot will either be a LH 2B/3B option, a RH bench bat, a LH bench bat, or a third catcher.

2 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

It will be a different person replacing Jackson’s role vs replacing his roster spot.  Urias would start most games in infield, with Mateo getting some starts against lefties.  The person taking Jackson’s roster spot will be in a 26th man role and won’t start more than once a week.  The 26th man spot will either be a LH 2B/3B option, a RH bench bat, a LH bench bat, or a third catcher.

Stowers would fit the LHB profile and is already on the 40 man.