Any Interest in Aaron Hicks?

He was just granted his release from the Cubs.  He's struggled this season with a .650 OPS, but he's a defensive upgrade over Ryan Mckenna.  He could be this team's Michael Bourn.   Especially while Hays is out.  Pillar was with Atlanta last year, and has experience in a bench role.  I think he brings more to the table than Mckenna.  .734 OPS vs. LHP in 2023.

Edited by sportsfan8703
Hicks was DFA’d

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Hays is projected to be back within the week.

Even with Hays back it makes more sense to have Pillar as a bench player than Kjerstad.  I know that will be like a dirty word to some people, but it makes more sense.  Pillar has a career .760 OPS vs LHP and brings top end defense at all three OF spots.  He also can be a PR too.  

Pillar fits what we need right now.  Incremental improvements.  

3 minutes ago, dystopia said:

We need pitching. 

Pillar probably catches the ball that Mckenna didn't on Friday night.  The ball had an 85% catch rate.  No need to have Kjerstad on the bench.  Kjerstad is a replacement for Santa/O'Hearn/Mountcastle/Cowser.  Until that need arises, we need a true bench OF.  Nothing against big Heston.  

No.   No.   No.   Let's NOT bring in another washed up,  aging vet who Hyde will feel compelled to play more than he should.  I don't like McKenna, but simply being better than him is not exactly a ringing endorsement since we already DFA McKenna once,  and hopefully will be doing so again.  I'm good with incremental upgrades and think we should be on the lookout for them when we can,  I just don't see Pillar as being one. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

No.   No.   No.   Let's NOT bring in another washed up,  aging vet who Hyde will feel compelled to play more than he should.  I don't like McKenna, but simply being better than him is not exactly a ringing endorsement since we already DFA McKenna once,  and hopefully will be doing so again.  I'm good with incremental upgrades and think we should be on the lookout for them when we can,  I just don't see Pillar as being one. 

Who are the other washed up aging vets on this team?

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Who are the other washed up aging vets on this team?

On this team?  None, and I'd like to keep it that way.   On past teams that got too much playing time?  Many, thus my comment.  

Pillar > McKenna.  Does Pillar choose O’s if it’s only short term until Hays is back? Would Hyde play Pillar more than he would have played McKenna? If yes, then some of the playing becomes a downgrade from other outfielders instead of an upgrade over McKenna.

• Upvote 1